leaf spring restoration?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pro-touringAK

I'm thinking about restoring a set of leaf springs from my 49 Ford F1. They are pitted pretty badly and was wondering if they are safe to restore? I'm planning on removing every other spring to lower and reduce the tension.

Attachments

• IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 20
Ummmm, that pitting looks pretty serious. If it were me I would replace it with something like a Posies Superslide spring. You will get a better, smoother ride, and by picking the right spring you can lower the truck a little too.

I really think that one you have has seen better days, and if the surface isn't as smooth as possible the leaves will not slide on one another like they should. It will be like the suspension is welded solid.

Don

Thanks for the help. I have thought about the Posies springs however it would be $800. I do have another set. Hopefully in better shape. Will removing every other leaf give the truck a more compliant ride? $800 seems like a lot to spend on just springs if the other set is in better shape.

Yep they're goners
If ya don't want to buy Posies, Chassis Engineering has a complete kit for around $550 with shocks

Latest posts

Back