Leaf spring setup advise please

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caddad65

I'm putting leaf springs under my car and building all the mounts from scratch. I was just looking for some advice on how to set them up.

I've got the frame leveled out. The Center Line located and the measurement of the spring length compressed.

Should I setup the rear shackle plumb, or angled slightly forward with the spring relaxed and the mounting surface parrallel to the floor.

Thanks,
-Mike-

Kinda depends on how stiff the springs are,and how heavy the car is.

But you are on the right path.

The shackles should lean back,when it is loaded at rest.

Copied from a spring site:

Shackle angle determines the rate as well. A shackle with a 3 degree layback incorporates a stiffer installed rate than a shackle at 25 degrees layback. In addition, as the spring is put under load the shackle angle increases; therefore, the spring rate decreases under travel. To determine the effective angle of a shackle, pull a string from the center of the front eye to the center of the rear eye of the spring, and then a line from the rear eye through the shackle pivot point. Measure the angle derived from the two lines. You can decrease the spring rate by increasing the angle, or increase the rate by decreasing the angle. Also, excessive torque of the shackle bolts will increase the installed rate.

LANDRUM SPRING and many of the top chassis manufacturers recommend that the shackles never extend straight back. This will produce a lock-up or binding effect and the car will perform erratically and unpredictably.

Shackle rigidity and length play a roll in the installed rate as well. If the shackles are long and do not have any middle support or bracing, then the shackle tends to absorb more of the twisting instead of the spring; therefore, your lateral resistance is less. Also, the longer the shackle length, the slower the arc movement which decreases the rate of the spring change. The opposite holds true, the shorter the shackle, the faster the rate of change.

Latest posts

Back