Like Father like Daughter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

Well, it seems that my little girl has got the bug . Not quite a rat, but a good start. Her first car is going to be a '63 Chevy Corvair 110 HP. She is very excited to see it tomorrow. I'm going to get it in the morning. I couldn't be more proud of her selection for her first ride. Now we can go to the car shows together.hahaha
CORVAIR.jpg

Forget Ralph Nader... they were not.....

Well, it seems that my little girl has got the bug . Not quite a rat, but a good start. Her first car is going to be a '63 Chevy Corvair 110 HP. She is very excited to see it tomorrow. I'm going to get it in the morning. I couldn't be more proud of her selection for her first ride. Now we can go to the car shows together.hahaha
CORVAIR.jpg

unsafe at any speed..... had a corvair spyder convertible when I was 17.... was twin carbed..... ran great and handled well.... better than most chev's of the time.... nice pic..... she'll have fun....[cl

unsafe at any speed..... had a corvair spyder convertible when I was 17.... was twin carbed..... ran great and handled well.... better than most chev's of the time.... nice pic..... she'll have fun....[cl

Thanks everyone. Heck, I'm looking at a 67 for me . hahaha. Yeah, old Nader sure put a damper on the production of the Corvair. He ad folks thinking it was a killer.

Very cool, love those short top coupes[cl[cl Glad your daughter is into older cars, I know it was a proud day when my daughter said she wanted a Monte SS for her first car:D Although she drives a Hemi 300-C nowadays she still has the '84 Monte SS I bought her when she was 15:cool:

CORVAIR.jpg

Great when you can do things together aint it.[P[;):cool:

That’s awesome. [cl[cl

My daughter picked out a 68’ Chevy for her 1st rig (attached pic) it was a very proud moment.

She’s still the one person in the family I can ALWAYS count on to go to car shows and the drag strip with me. :D

Attachments

• Brits 68 Chevy.jpg
    Brits 68 Chevy.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 16
Well guys, NO Corvair ! Or not that one anyway. I went down to look at the car with trailer in tow, and was thouroghly dissapointed. I knew it would be a crap shoot anyway, but jeesh. There was no mention of extensive body work, and crappy body work at that. Here goes... I get there to look at it, and the first thing I noticed is that the front right quarter panel was crashed. All body panels are weld on panels and not bolt on like most other cars (unibody). So, where it was crashed , it had about a quart of bondo along with riveted sheet metal under neath. So, I thought , well I'm a pretty good body man, so I took it for a test drive. The engine at about 15 mph revs up and you have to let off the accelorator to let it catch (not good). So, I made it back to their house and crawled underneath the drivers side. This is where it gets funny. When I shined my flashlight under the car, I saw chicken wire...... yes , I said chicken wire, with hand laid fiber glass over it in place of the stock welded steel floor board. This guy has been driving this car like that for God knows how long. The bodies on these cars are similar to a Volkwagen body. There is no frame, and the body serves as the frame , supporting the engine , tranny and front suspension. Not to mention the folks inside. I passed on the deal, and he lowered his price by $800. I told him I wouldn't buy it at any price because the structural integrity of the car has been comprimised by all of the mud everywhere on the car. Even the cross braces that hold the floor up were rusted beyond recognition. My little girl won't be driving that car. We are going this weekend to look at another one that an old hot rodder has for sale. He took it down to metal and it is in primer right now. We'll go take a look . Thanks for all the replies, and I'll keep everyone posted on what we find.

Sorry to hear that, it sure does look nice in the pictures.
I really hope he doesn’t sell that to anyone who doesn’t know what they are getting.

Maybe this other deal will work out for ya.

Well I guess that it was in fact..

UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED.... :eek: Better you found it all there..... sure looked good in the pic.... but like they say, "never judge a book by it's cover"..... I'm sure you'll get something appropriate for her..... don't want to put your daughter in harms way.....Good Luck with the hunt.....

I know its cool to have an old american classic car or truck, but for a first car for a new and young driver its not very safe in my opinion.No safety equipment or engineering in them. The most important thing to me is my daughters safety and I am happy with the car she choose. Not american but pretty damn cool for a twenty year olds car and its as safe as any car out there.
2006 Nissan 350Z , 300 HP and 6 speed manual. Friend of hers took the professional pic.350Z.jpg

You will find her the right car, and enjoy working on it together. I know my daughter and I enjoy the time spent on her 63 beetle.

Not only that but she is the only kid around with something she and her dad built.

Is it as safe as a newer car, probably not. But it is fun and she will only be driving it to school and around town. Could she get hurt, sure, could I have been hurt in my 68 dodge when I was her age, and my 56 Chev, and my 55 GMC and my 73 Ford and my 38 GMC, etc.? Yep, but I wasn't.

What I remember is my dad and I spending half the night putting a fresh paint job on the 56 for a car show the next day. He and I still talk everyday, priceless.

Latest posts

Back