Little HELP...fuel pump ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

low dawg

Hey guys, I need a chunck of info from y'all...I am working on plumbing my fuel delivery system (back to front) and lo and behold once I got to the mechanical fuel pump on my '82 2.8L Chevy motor I found that there is a fuel return line...Larger 3/8" line into pump from tank, steel formed line out to carb.(never disconnected this one), and then a smaller 5/16" line that I assumed was the return to the tank...BIG QUESTION IS...does that return line need to get back to the tank...or is more like a vent for the pump and there will be NO fuel traveling thru it??? Thanks guys!!!

Could be either a return line or a vapor cannister line

Hey guys, I need a chunck of info from y'all...I am working on plumbing my fuel delivery system (back to front) and lo and behold once I got to the mechanical fuel pump on my '82 2.8L Chevy motor I found that there is a fuel return line...Larger 3/8" line into pump from tank, steel formed line out to carb.(never disconnected this one), and then a smaller 5/16" line that I assumed was the return to the tank...BIG QUESTION IS...does that return line need to get back to the tank...or is more like a vent for the pump and there will be NO fuel traveling thru it??? Thanks guys!!!

On the 82 2.8 didn't it use the varijet carb...kinda looks like a weber? The smaller line is probably the carbon canister / vapor cannister line.... but, if it's a return line it would be there to eliminate vapor lock but either way, you can eliminate it.....

Sgt., yeah it is the varijet carb...I got that all figured out (I think LOL). There were 2 lines in the frame originally...3/8" that I know was the supply line to the fuel pump, but like I said, when hooking that line up I discovered and smaller line 5/16" going into the frame right next to the supply line, initially I thought return, anti-vapor lock, because I didnt remember a vented cap on the stock tank. I gues I'll put a plug in it for now and see what happens...As a side note, I am using a vented fuel cap on the new set up...Thanks a ton for your help.

I was still turning wrenches at the GM store

back when your 82 was built....so I remember bits and pieces of it....LOL...
You won't have any issues with capping that off....and with the vented cap you should be good to go...glad I could help....

Latest posts

Back