Lookie at my new toy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
check out craigslist for Omaha and surrounding area. there are a couple guys parting out those
also there was a 1969 or 1970 f100 4x4 chassis that was for sale i know th e4 speed should be the ultra low np435 with the appropriate 2 wheel drive flange to recive the adapter necessary to mount a 2 speed t-case.
the early f100's used a single speed transfercase coupled to an np435 with very deep gears
Novak adapters has the info in their website for the mods necessary to put a gm motor in there.
You use a gm car bellhousing, redrill a couple holes. change your crank bushing, cut a smidge off the tranny input shaft, use a gm flywheel and clutch hat with a ford clutch disc and have the bearing retainer off the front of th e tranny turned down a little by a machine shop.

I was thinking of putting one of my olds 350 diesels in my f150 4x4 project. no power but 18/32 mpg
You could use the GM engine swap to put a 350, 6.2 6.5 or duramax diesel in your bronco. you could even put one of those 200ci pontiac slant 4's from an old tempest in there... mercury marine makes agreat 3.0 4 popper
They also mde a 4+ liter (230ci?) 4 banger that used a 460 head with a gm bellhousing pattern so it would be partially ford going in there

Good lord, why take out a perfectly good small block Ford to put a chevy engine in it? I'd keep it a 302, maybe put efi on it. You can get adapters for a lot of different trannys. Stacey David put a 5 speed in the Crazy Horse, seems like it was a T5. I remember a few running around back in the day with 4 soeed conversions, not the clunky truck 4 speed but maybe a T10.

good lord, why take out a perfectly good small block ford to put a chevy engine in it? I'd keep it a 302, maybe put efi on it. You can get adapters for a lot of different trannys. Stacey david put a 5 speed in the crazy horse, seems like it was a t5. I remember a few running around back in the day with 4 soeed conversions, not the clunky truck 4 speed but maybe a t10.

I never said anythign about putting a smallblock chevy in it
302's pretty well obvious i didn't see any reason to bring it up
the mercury marine 4 cylinder is more engine than any 4 cylinder ford makes if he wants a 4 banger.

The engine in now is a 289 with a mild cam it runs strong...it did come with the 302 but was replaced many years ago with the engine it has now....I have been getting the wife's opinion on color and she loves the 1971 seafoam green color and a cream or off white secondary color...Ill be slowly getting it straight..I'm thinking of putting the 65 into storage and moving the bronco to the garage so i have access to it all the time....but the next thing I need to sort out is the wiring..headlights work but one tail light works no blinkers or actual break lights (when you press the break).....thanks for all the responses hope to get better pics when i can properly wash it.

Thomas [;)

brother had a 66 mustang 20 yrs ago with 60k miles and
a hi po 289 that would hit 140

Finally got all the wiring sorted out...had alot of bad grounds and corroded sockets...My first long trip will be bringing it to Ada from my parents house...I will be taking it to the Blue Moon cruse-in in Ada on the 28th of this month...

Thomas [;)

More questions

My grandfather is giving me a 351 Windsor out of his 72 ford ltd. It has everything including the right air cleaner. The questions:

Should I do a whole motor swap the 289 out and the 351 in?
The ltd also come with all the air conditioning equipment could I retro fit to bronco?
Would I have to make any serious adjustments to fit the 351 in the bronco?

Last has nothing to do with the bronco but anyone might know where to find a frame and from clip for a 1960 ford starliner? Reason being is we have the middle and truck of one with all glass still in and not busted. I was thinking of trying to put it back together. My great grandfather cut the front clip and frame off at the firewall for some reason.

Thanks,

Thomas [;)

those steering boxes are easy to rebuild.
but yeah
jack it up and try the 6 and 12 oclock hold on the tires and try to wiggle them and look for any and all play in the system.
it is pretty easy to replace the worn parts and that thing will drive like new.
the brakes are a cinch too.

"Should I do a whole motor swap the 289 out and the 351 in?
The ltd also come with all the air conditioning equipment could I retro fit to bronco?
Would I have to make any serious adjustments to fit the 351 in the bronco?"

I vote for the 351, should be a bolt in and I would run the trans if it comes with it, built an blown version for my 56 F100, work great except for MPG, but stockers work great also.
And their pretty [cl

Attachments

• Blown 351.jpg
    Blown 351.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 19
steering

tbj188 ''steering thoughts or suggestions?''

an aftermarket mustang II with rack & pinion & coil over shocks is good choice. you get new suspension parts include in most kits, disc brakes ,ease of installation instead of trying to fab it in and most of the work is already done so it's a pretty easy install and any bolt pattern you need almost all companies offer that option on the rotors.

if you chose a wheel pattern of 4X41/2 stock ford just get the back axles drilled to match and you have a mass amount tire/wheel combos out there.

the MII we used on my 193Oish drives great with it.

Later :cool:

Don't mean to toot my own horn...

But...I actually won a trophy at a car show in my 71 bronco....won the under construction category...now it has some pedigree :D. Lol

Thomas [;)

Latest posts

Back