Looking at a 1963 gmc truck tomorrow, what to do?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvin4jc

securedownload
Well I finally got some cash and summer cruising has consumed my mind. Having some old ratted tin to drive is all I can think about.

I found a '63 gmc truck for sale with decent patina on it. It's a four speed stick and it has the 305 v6 engine in it which is pretty neat. If you don't know it's one of the first American v6's ever made, it's a big block and the spark plugs come out of the intake instead of down on the exhaust side.

The front (coil springs) has been lowered 2" already so the plan would pretty much be to slam the rear, maybe suicide the driver's door and just drive it. The windshield says $1,600, the window says $1,200 and I think if I want it after test driving it tomorrow we'll settle at $900 with a new battery.

So what do you think? Any cool rat mods you know of for these trucks?

6804326200_d769b5cea2_z.jpg

Last edited:
Love those trucks... go for it! A big block 6-bang is perfect for the gas prices we're lookin' at for this Spring!

BoB

Love those trucks... go for it! A big block 6-bang is perfect for the gas prices we're lookin' at for this Spring!

BoB

I must love them too. I'm a Ford guy through and through but Chevy just had a cooler truck in the early 60's. It has the slant forward cab, the sweet doors that go forward under the A-pillar like only the '56 Ford had and it has a styleside bed with a wooden floor. AFAIK Ford never made a wooden floored styleside bed.

Plus this truck has flamed on the hood which must add $100 in value and say 25hp? :rolleyes:

Careful with that horrible word, my DD is a 1989 F350 quad cab long box 4X4 with a 460 in it :D.

Where in the black hills are you?

Belle Fourche. I doubt if your 460 is any worse on gas than my 4 bbl. 300-6, about 12 at best and 7-8 when I pull a trailer. I have an 87 460 4x4 with a C6 that has done as good as 15, tranny is out right now.

Belle Fourche. I doubt if your 460 is any worse on gas than my 4 bbl. 300-6, about 12 at best and 7-8 when I pull a trailer. I have an 87 460 4x4 with a C6 that has done as good as 15, tranny is out right now.

I'd venture to say that your carbureted 460 is better in almost every way than my smog consious efi truck is... Haven't seen 15 for sure.

The 305 V-6 is junk. They didn't make them long for a reason. Unique? I suppose so, but doesn't make up for incredibly poor fuel mielage, total lack of power and near-obsolete parts. I guess it's fine if you only want to put around town and have plenty of money to throw away on fuel, otherwise an engine swap will be in order...

Hello welcome to RRR.[cl It will make a nice ride jump in get r done.. I would toss the 305 and go with a loud 350..

BED said it. The 305 is one of those motors that comes up in "Worst Motors Ever" threads.

Like the truck though.

Guys i'm really liking that 305 so far. First it runs great, second it has a ton of torque (as much as my Ford 460 DD) and third everyone that asks me about the truck leads with "does it still have the V6 in it? That was a great engine." Everyone and their dog has a 350, but how many of these are still around?

Hello welcome to RRR.[cl It will make a nice ride jump in get r done.. I would toss the 305 and go with a loud 350..

Ha, i'm on a lot of forums and i've never once been welcomed to the site by a member that's been around a full year less than me :confused: There's a first for everything though I guess.

It's a great looking truck and if it runs and drives and you can get it for $900...whats the hold up? The fact that it's a GMC with an odd engine and not a Chevy with a 350 make it even cooler. Long bed pickups look awesome slammed or as taildraggers.....just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back