looking at a 50 chevy 3800 1ton

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyRunnin_on_Bowtie

To big to do fenderless?.....I can get a complete truck, dually rear end, running straight 6, flat bed all for 600 bucks with a title. But I want to build a fenderless dually but I don't want a fat looking cab after a chop. How much wider are the cabs anyway?

1-ton

If you have the skills to do the chop why not narrow the cab by about a foot . Not a bad buy for a complete truck with title.:cool:

well one thing to keep in mind about the old dually's is that they weren't built for speed. You wont get highway speeds with the old rear ends. The rear ends weren't geared for high speeds in the bigger trucks till the late 60's

However you can always build your own axle as I did...

I have seen a few fender less AD cab builds that I thought looked good, but definitely more that i think look off

well one thing to keep in mind about the old dually's is that they weren't built for speed. You wont get highway speeds with the old rear ends. The rear ends weren't geared for high speeds in the bigger trucks till the late 60's

However you can always build your own axle as I did...

I have seen a few fender less AD cab builds that I thought looked good, but definitely more that i think look off

so your cab was off a 1/2 ton then? your truck is awesome btw

Thanks man...

Nope my truck started as a 1.5 ton truck... My cab is smaller than an ad cab is that's just because the earlier cabs were smaller than the 50s and later stuff

I have noticed in my dealings with 1/2 ton and 1 1/2 Chevy trucks is that the doors are not the same size.The 1 1/2 ton doors are just a little larger.You can put1/2 ton doors on a ton truck, just change the door latches.

You can look at my build thread as I narrowed my cab chopped it sliced and diced it everywhere!! 1949 AD truck!! That is a pretty good price for what your looking at!!

Keep us informed!!

Sorry!! Build thread under "1948 chevy truck razor"

You can look at my build thread as I narrowed my cab chopped it sliced and diced it everywhere!! 1949 AD truck!! That is a pretty good price for what your looking at!!

Keep us informed!!

Sorry!! Build thread under "1948 chevy truck razor"

looks great man. i dont know if im up for the challege of cutting it up like that. i mean hell, ive never chopped anything either. i just dont want to end up with a pile of scrap metal ya know:rolleyes:

the guy sent me the dimensions (roughly) of the cab because he swears up and down its the same size as a standard pick up. could that be possible?

here are the pictures that were sent to me...
the floor looks pretty good huh? lol

Attachments

• 123456.jpg
    123456.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 43256.jpg
    43256.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 20
  • 2..jpg
    2..jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 32312.jpg
    32312.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 19
The cabs are the same as a 1/2 ton... That particular cab 47-54 also known as an AD cab which stands for advanced design... Has a large cab in general when compared to earlier year trucks

So do an s-10 frame swap and have fun with it!! Just make it a fun vehicle for you!! If you need dimensions for anything I have them just let me know!!

Latest posts

Back