Looking at a possible project tonight... What to look for

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XtremeS10

I've got a friend looking to junk a truck he bought to build a rat out of but has no time or money, I asked if I could maybe buy some parts off it and am going to look tonight I want the cab, rear axle and front wheels what should I look for? What makes it a no go? I'm wanting to do low budget, scratch frame, 4-6" chop and run fenderless... What do you guys think??

8eb67ce1.jpg
b47981e8.jpg

Maybe grab the cab, and front and rear axles & suspension... drivetrain any good?
Maybe steering box, etc..
And scrap what you don't need..

Looks like a cool starting point.

Just remember those tires are near impossible to find good used ones and probably at least $200-$250 a pop for new ones. Nothing low budget about having to spend $1000-$1500 on just rubber.
The cab would be a good start though.

Going for cheap, the cab and maybe hood are all you want from it in my opinion.
The only concern may be around the cab to frame mounting areas but that can be fixed.
Good thing for you it is not around here or i would be scheme'n on it :D

Here's what I know about it so far, 20" wheels, 2 speed rear axle, not sure if it has a title, he bought it for $800 I'm looking just for the cab/rear and wheels, let him scrap the rest split it try to get all that for $400 what do you guys think?

willowbilly is right.. I got over 500 just in my front tires on my truck, and didnt need flaps in the front which would have been another $50-75 It will be over 1000 when I order up the rears...

There are also a lot of things to consider when using the old split style rims... condition is very important, based on the rust and rot that you can see on the cab, the rims most likely will be in rough shape..

Also, the gearing in the rear axle will be terrible...

just my 0.02

If it were me.. id get the cab, fenders, running boards, and Id probably grab the bumper too.. you can always scrap parts later if you dont use them

willowbilly is right.. I got over 500 just in my front tires on my truck, and didnt need flaps in the front which would have been another $50-75 It will be over 1000 when I order up the rears...

There are also a lot of things to consider when using the old split style rims... condition is very important, based on the rust and rot that you can see on the cab, the rims most likely will be in rough shape..

Also, the gearing in the rear axle will be terrible...

just my 0.02

If it were me.. id get the cab, fenders, running boards, and Id probably grab the bumper too.. you can always scrap parts later if you dont use them
Yup, you can already see it has sat in the dirt up to the rims, I wouldn't want to wager much that they are even usable seeing as the rest of the truck is pretty rusty. I'm guessing it must be a humid climate.
If you are dead set on truck tires and duals, look to old motorhomes. The ones from the 70s ain't worth squat and you can get a little more modern running gear, usually usable tires and all you have to do is deal with the ton or two of useless trash you'll have when you strip off the body.

Yup, you can already see it has sat in the dirt up to the rims, I wouldn't want to wager much that they are even usable seeing as the rest of the truck is pretty rusty. I'm guessing it must be a humid climate.
If you are dead set on truck tires and duals, look to old motorhomes. The ones from the 70s ain't worth squat and you can get a little more modern running gear, usually usable tires and all you have to do is deal with the ton or two of useless trash you'll have when you strip off the body.

He said he'd let me take just the cab and body parts and he would scrap the rest, I love the patina on it I'm thinking running without a bed maybe scrounging up some cash for air bags I'm thinking I'll let him keep the wheels

Yep, I think had I really known all the variables trying to use the rims/tires when I was starting I would have gone a different route.. but I was young and stubborn..

Things I have done to use the rims...
- two custom built front rims
- custom built rear axle
- Custom built disk brake job on the front axle
- drove 12 hours to get a better set of rear rims

- but 4 years later, I am nearing completion and I am happy that I have slowly sorted out all these problems... So Im not going to say its impossible

Yep, I think had I really known all the variables trying to use the rims/tires when I was starting I would have gone a different route.. but I was young and stubborn..

Things I have done to use the rims...
- two custom built front rims
- custom built rear axle
- Custom built disk brake job on the front axle
- drove 12 hours to get a better set of rear rims

- but 4 years later, I am nearing completion and I am happy that I have slowly sorted out all these problems... So Im not going to say its impossible
I'd sooner scrap them and go to a 5 lug front and some modernish dual rear then that lol I'm just trying to make a really cool laid out cruiser, I'll be spending most of the money on the interior

Stopped and looked, cab back panel is split in the center, doors are rusted through, rockers are gone on both side, hate to say it but it's too junk for me

Stopped and looked, cab back panel is split in the center, doors are rusted through, rockers are gone on both side, hate to say it but it's too junk for me

If yall are just going to junk it would you be interested in selling any parts off of it ? I see I few parts I would like to have.

Latest posts

Back