Looking at donor options

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TubularFab

Well, I saw a lot of trucks today in about 80 miles of driving from my house. I first went to look at an early 40's Dodge 1.5 ton truck that I can buy for $400. It was rougher than I'd expected with some heavy rust, particularly in the doors. But, I think it's totally usable...

dodgefront.jpg

dodgedrv.jpg

dodgecab.jpg

dodgerear.jpg

Found a hobby shop near my house where someone obviously likes big old trucks. He has about 10 1.5 ton or bigger trucks lined up behind his shop and maybe half are cab-overs. I stopped to meet the guy, but his son said he wasn't home. Suggested I go back one evening when I see the shop opened up. He might be a good source for a local deal on a cab!

I have a friend that lives about 150 miles away that has a '47 International 1.5 ton cab and sheet metal for sale. It's got some rust, but not bad. Price is close to the same as the Dodge. I like the idea of the international, but also like the Dodge since I already have one of that same era/model in my cabover.

47int1.jpg

47int2.jpg

47int3.jpg

DSCN1078.JPG

Also saw a 1940 Ford pickup that had been rodded a bit sitting in a yard for sale. Looked stock on the outside, but had a Chevy 350 under the hood. Asking price - $22,500.00

Finally, I'm also looking at this firetruck chassis as a possible foundation for my cabover project. It is a '55 American LaFrance with a Detroit Diesel 6-71 in it. This looks like an interesting package...

fire1.jpg

fire2.jpg

fire3.jpg

Looks like a VW

the Very Worst place to be in an accident!

I don't think that counts as a COE. Maybe a CIFOE? (cab in front of engine)

Latest posts

Back