looking for bare metal

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lustforrust

i have a 2nd series 55 chevy truck and i want to sand it down to bare metal and see what i have before i get started. anyone have any ideas on what to use besides sand blasting or soda blasting. i thought that i had heard of someone using some sort of wheel on a grinder that wasn't sand paper. i would opt for the soda blasting, but the wife has me on a tight budget so i guess it's back to using good old elbow grease. also has anyone used por15 to stop rust and does it really work. thanks for the help.

To do a whole car I'd suggest the soda blasting.

Have the Lil Lady come out and help ya sand for a while and she would also:D

Anything like a grinder with sanding discs may do some major damage if your not careful

i have a 2nd series 55 chevy truck and i want to sand it down to bare metal and see what i have before i get started. anyone have any ideas on what to use besides sand blasting or soda blasting. i thought that i had heard of someone using some sort of wheel on a grinder that wasn't sand paper. i would opt for the soda blasting, but the wife has me on a tight budget so i guess it's back to using good old elbow grease. also has anyone used por15 to stop rust and does it really work. thanks for the help.

what you are looking for is called a Paint Striping Wheel. I bought a couple at Lowe's and they also are at Sears. Make sure if you use them to use a drill that is not in the best of shapes because it will damage it if you use it for a lengthy period of time. Below is the link to something similar. The shaft goes into your drill chuck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3M-R...Z110386261160QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

We have a lot of stuff sandblasted at my work and the guy who comes in to do it tells me he likes plastic media blasting for precious car steel. He feels sand and soda leave behind residue that can promote rusting down the road.

I know having a body blasted isn't the cheapest process, but it sure saves a lot of backbreaking work. I have used stripper, discs, and every other means and none of them get it as clean as blasting.

Don

Latest posts

Back