Looking for pics for guidance...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, had some bored time this is what I hacked together. Pretty rough, but you get and idea. I know its a straight axle front - all I could find. Not sure if the wheels would be farther back.
Chopped, sectioned, door bump moved inward, lowered a lot. Front tire is probably too big too. IT's a hack job - whadda ya want fer nothin?

Attachments

• truck1jpgthumbnail1si3 copy.jpg
    truck1jpgthumbnail1si3 copy.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 98
No offense to your photoshop Sam (because it actually looks pretty good for a quick & free hack job :)), but if that isn't a case for full fenders then I don't know what is. You are very right about pulling in the door bottoms and such, but look at what all is involved there - just trying to get something that really doesn't even look like what it is trying to emulate. A HOT ROD is supposed to be sleek, light and fast looking - not a refugee from a barnyard. What is worse is that it looks MUCH better how you did it with a solid front axle than with that attrocious S-10 chassis. You are right about your previous point I suppose, but I'm not even that old! Haha. I really just don't get how people think these big clunky late model truck cabs look good with no fenders.This could be a great little hauler truck, or it could be another travesty. Once again just my grumpy-ass opinion, but hey - that's the fun in hot rodding I suppose. Everybody can build whatever they want, because that is really what is important in the end - as long as it is safe and roadworthy. HOWEVER, my one piece of advice that does seem to hold water most of the time - If you build something classic, it never goes out of style...

'48 Dodge Rat

This is my '48 Dodge. Its the same body as the '52 trucks. Its on an '88 S-10 frame. Cab is channeled over the frame and chopped 2 inches. I read some of the post by other people and they're right. If you really want the look of the rats in magazines your better off with another body style. But you know what. If you want something cheap that's a heck of a lot of fun, go with your idea. Some of those guys spend a lot of money to make those rats look the way they do. That's not really my speed. If is cheap and you think you can make it fit together, go for it.

Attachments

• Rat Rod 001.jpg
    Rat Rod 001.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Rat Rod 006.jpg
    Rat Rod 006.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Rat Rod 003.jpg
    Rat Rod 003.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
This is my '48 Dodge. Its the same body as the '52 trucks. Its on an '88 S-10 frame. Cab is channeled over the frame and chopped 2 inches. I read some of the post by other people and they're right. If you really want the look of the rats in magazines your better off with another body style. But you know what. If you want something cheap that's a heck of a lot of fun, go with your idea. Some of those guys spend a lot of money to make those rats look the way they do. That's not really my speed. If is cheap and you think you can make it fit together, go for it.

No arguments from me! Like your ride! (Post a proper intro Doom - with pics) Think you could incorporate the bump outs on the door into air ram scoops for your cooler?

yeah I've thought about what i could do with the front of the doors but not too hard. Only thing i thought about was adding some small driving lights. People really wouldn't know what it was coming down the road at night.

yeah I've thought about what i could do with the front of the doors but not too hard. Only thing i thought about was adding some small driving lights. People really wouldn't know what it was coming down the road at night.

I just finished my cab work and I'm moving to the doors soon on my 54 Dodge. The only fix I see for the "door humps" is to put suicide hinges on (because the hinges extend into the hump) and trim the doors down and re-skin 'em.

52 dodge help

Man, you guys are all over this. First off, the photo shopped pic is pretty sweet. If I was to leave the front fenders off, is there a way to change the front end of the S-10 to something more like the straight axle that would still be safe and comfortable for a daily driver? I guess that question kinda defeats the purpose of using an S-10 to begin with, huh. And the doors would definitely need reskinned to get rid of the hump. Love the hood. The way the hood swings up in the middle is classic. I would really like to keep it. Trying to start the tear down now if the honey dos and the kids wants would stop getting in the way (just kidding, they always come first). Anyways, you guys are great. I will try to take some pics before the strip down starts and keep you up on the progress because I can sure use the continued guidance.

Thanks again....

Pic...sorta

I finally got around to taking a pic of my old '52 Dodge truck. It wasn't that dark but apparantly my camera on my phone sucks. I will try to get a better one.

Attachments

• my ol' dodge.jpg
    my ol' dodge.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 29
'52 Dodge

Ok guys. Sorry for the 6 mth hiatus....but its been rough around here. Lost my job and am now trying to work two jobs to make ends meet. But, I am going to start tear down. I've scrapped the S-10 idea and plan on leaving the straight axle in play. I do have intentions of shaving the fenders though. Have also talked to a local guy about chopping the top. I am adding a better pic of what Im starting with. Interior and even the floor is in very good shape so. Anyways, just wanted to check in. I will repost new pics as I go. Will be slow....so be patient.

I am working on 1953 Fargo (same as the Dodge only Canadian) I'd love to more pics in this thread.

I know where there's one just like yours except with a whole lot more patina for sale. I stopped to look at it last week on the way to a friends house. The guy wants way too much at least in my opinion. $1000!! :eek: The thing is a virtual basket case and he'll never get that out of it. Siezed engine, broken glass all around , completely rotted out bed, and badly banged in fenders. It still has a lot of fenderless rat rod potential but not at that price.

Latest posts

Back