Looks vs Practicality

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepyjake

Need some help guys,

I'm driving a 41 Chevy PU, with a sbc 350, with a 650 Edelbrock. Gas mileage is decent (much better than the quadrajunk I had). I'm starting on a 46 Ford PU (200 bux for cab, on a rolling chassy)and am going to put a dodge 331? in it (200 bux for it and tranny). It's gonna be my new daily driver (giving the 41 to my son). I want the looks of the bigger carb or maybe even a dual setup but am worried about the gas. Just wondering what's out there, really thinking about going with a single 2 barrel. Does any1 have any pics of a 350 with some kind of cool gas saving setup? I'll send a couple pix of the 41, i got it on ebay last november, using it as a template for the 46. Getting ready to chop the top and take the floor out for channeling this weekend. This is my first build, i have two good friends helping me along but i will be checking with the pro's here alot. Only have the two pics, but have been taking a few since i started on the 46 (missed the crane on the back of my guys work truck taking the cab off the frame....dammit). I'll try and download them this weekend.

Thanx in advance for the help,

Jake

Attachments

• DSC05622.jpg
    DSC05622.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC05627.jpg
    DSC05627.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 67
Cool truck!

Jake,
Cool truck, bet your son can't wait to get behind the wheel! Plans for yourr new truck sound cool too, can't wait to see some pictures!

ISore

Several things really help in the gas milage dept. An overdrive tranny, high rear end ratio, and a carb that is matched to the engine you are using. Common belief is that if you stuck a little 2 barrel on an engine that had a four barrel you are automatically going to get much better milage. Not necessarily true.

I know from your post that you don't like quadrajets, but they are actually one of the better carbs for getting good fuel economy, and are pretty dependable if set up right. Tons and tons of Mercruiser, OMC, and Volvo 5.7 marine engines have used them for years with very good results. The key is to have one that is in tip top shape, and stay out of the huge secondaries.

Aerodynamics also play a big role. I have a 5.0 Mustang engine in my Jeep pickup and when I get to about 70 mph it is like hitting a brick wall, I can feel the drag and it is very hard to overcome it and get any good gas milage (and it is an overdrive tranny)

Don

If you go from the 650 Holley to a 7448 Holley (2bbl) carb you will gain torque on the bottom end and get a little bit better economy on fuel.

Just an idea: you can always mount 3 single barrel carbs and look "Way Too Cool"

That is a 350 Chevy? Nice job of disguising it. What are those manifolds?
I'm not sure what milage a 331 (hemi?) is capable of but an old 3 deuce set up would fit the bill nicely. I remember a set I had with a slider that you could easily move by loosening a set screw and that determined where the other 2 carbs came in at. I also agree that Q-jet is a good milage carb if set up right. It is one of the most misunderstood and maligned carbs. Almost all of their problems were the failure of choke components and not knowing a couple tricks to disassembling one.

Last edited:
Don't you get a little flak about that big ol' saw blade hanging out front??? Not exactly pedestrian friendly!

LOL Looks like it had a run in with a buzz saw. Innovative to say the least. (but just a tad goofy) But if you are getting that close to pedestrians it might not matter what's sticking out front.

thanks

thanks for the help guys, it's nice to get help right away. The valve covers are off a lincoln V8. Going to hack up the frame tomorrow morning, should have pics in the evening.

Again, thanks for the help and use of your knowlege,

Jake

If you`re more concerned about gas mileage than performance, get a 600 Holley vacuum secondary carb and install the stiffest secondary spring in that they offer. The back barrels will not kick in until like 6000 rpm. I`ve done this on a couple daily drivers and you will definately get better "in-town" mileage.

Thanks Don

All, thanks for the fast reply's.

Was wondering out loud if I could only use two barrels of a four barrel carb. Your idea sounds good, can I do that with any carb?? I drive about 18 miles round trip daily, been about twenty or so bux a week, which i can live with, but any savings will help. How bout a two carb setup with a blocking plate so you could just use one carb but have the look of two? Any other idea's would be greatly apprecetiated.
On a different subject, I have been looking back at some of the threads about chopping. I like the idea of the the rake like mine is now, but, seems like it would be tuff to get the door windows to work if you don't cut a section out of the top and move the roof forward. The one i'm building, I hate to say it, will probably get painted and made a little nicer so my lady will drive with me. lol And if you take out of the roof it seems like you would have to paint it or have the weld lines exposed (which think i would like). And where exactly do i need to brace it, glad i looked or i wooda fked that up!!

Again thanks for the help in advance,

Jake

Latest posts

Back