Lost about spindles and brakes to use with 21" rims????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjblugrassy

I am planing a hot rod but I am totally confused about spindles and brakes to use. I have a set of 21 inch 1927 spoke wheels and tires i want to use and i know I want a I beam drop front axel, but could somone please help me with making a decision on what type spindles and brakes I need. I would love to use disc brakes but with my rims i dont think I can???? I know the rims are 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern and there are quite a few ford years that will work. Wich way should I go??? Does anyone on here use 21 inch rims on their rod and if so I would love to know your setup as far spindles and brakes?? On the rear I got that figures out. I am gonna hunt up a ford pickup rearend I think anywhere from 72 to 93 they used the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. Probaly more years than this but I figure these years will be more available Correct me please if I am wrong. thanks

JJ

Speedway sells a 5 on 5.5 disc kit but it says specifically in the fine print that it's not for use with early drum brake wheels. I'm guessing you'll need some kind of adapter.

You could always go with early 50's Ford F100 drums, I've heard those are plenty strong.

IMO I wouldn't use 21" wires on a hot rod. They are way to weak!

Exactly. They are WAY too weak for any type of performance application. They will also not work properly on anything other than an early Ford hub and drum. This means no disc brake setups and no late model rearends either. Sorry...

I agree 110% about the wheels being too weak. Earliest I would run are '35 16 inch wire wheels. As for mounting them to other drums or rotors, Speedway sells an adapter ring that centers and locates the wire wheels properly on 39-48 Ford drum brakes. You need these spacers to keep the wheels from coming loose.

If it were me, I would run any axle from 28-48 Ford, with 37-48 spindles, and 40-48 drum brakes. Or the 37-48 spindles and F100 brakes from I think 53-56, and maybe more years than that.

I know someone will come on and say they are running the 21 inch wheels with no problems, but I wouldn't risk my life or someone elses life with them.

Don

Think of it this way. 21" wires were used on late 20s early 30s cars which weighed around 2000lbs and had about 50hp. They are now 80 years old. Do you really want to run them on a 3000lb car with 300hp. Somethings going to give!

My Harley has a 21" wire in the front and weighs 600lbs.

JJBLUGRASSY

What if I built somthing along this line and not a super hot rod?

Ok here what if I built somthing like this and take notice of the back wheel it has a disc brakes.I took this picture at the Hunnert Car Pile Up in 08. I may go this way and do like yawl say and gather up parts for a real hot rod.
GEDC0013.jpg
[/IMG]

What if I built somthing along this line and not a super hot rod?[/QUOTE]

No. Like I said, some people will say they have done it, but I wouldn't.

Don

Latest posts

Back