Lost my wheel bearing info, 49 ford F1 Disc Brake swap

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtyrat

Got Fins?
I thought I had a link that showed the setup of the F1 front wheel bearings and how to setup the clearance, as in torque to X ft-lb, back off, torque to X and put in cotter pin.

Anyone by chance have the info? I know some of the vehicles I've redone were just torque, back off, finger tight, and then cotter pin through the spindle nut...

I'm using a MP Brakes (I believe) Kit which uses like a volare rotor and a camaro (70s) caliper.

Thanks, kinda goin out of my mind trying to search for the info online, and in my notes...

Anyone here do the brake upgrade on the F1?
I mean I'm fairly certain its just a torque while spinning, back the nut off, hand tight, and cotter pin...

Ya that's good enough. Then check it after a couple hundred miles. Lift it up and wiggle the wheel in and out from the top and bottom of the wheel. If you feel a little slop, remove the cotter pin and turn the castle nut one notch. Of course that would be for taper bearing set up. I think the old ball bearings are supposed to have a little play.

Thinking back

I thought I had a link that showed the setup of the F1 front wheel bearings and how to setup the clearance, as in torque to X ft-lb, back off, torque to X and put in cotter pin.

Anyone by chance have the info? I know some of the vehicles I've redone were just torque, back off, finger tight, and then cotter pin through the spindle nut...

I'm using a MP Brakes (I believe) Kit which uses like a volare rotor and a camaro (70s) caliper.

Thanks, kinda goin out of my mind trying to search for the info online, and in my notes...

Boy I did that to mine 16-18 years ago. Just snug it up so you can fell it start to bind and back it off some and put in the cotter pin. that should work

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the responses, yes its a tapered bearing setup with the upgrade... I know some of the newer trucks use pretty heavy torque ratings now on the 2WD trucks...

I'll continue down the path I was on, memory was just failing on that and needed confirmation on the F1 (this is the oldest ride I've ever owned)

Latest posts

Back