Louvered Hood And Straps On My 32 *pics*

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
I was going to wait until tomorrow evening to post this when I was further along but I'll just update it then. I had ordered a steel lovered hood From Rootlieb a while back to replace my fiberglass hood. My glass hood was one inch longer than stock and I like the look and wanted to keep it that way. I already had a steel repop grill shell waiting. Another thing that I've been wanting to do is install straps on the hood. I had obtained the belts a while back to do that. Well the hood arrived this week and I decided to tackle the project this weekend. I've got most of it together. I just need to do some minor trimming and fitting, then I'll prime the hood and shell. I still need to drill some holes and install the grill itself into the shell, along with the trim piece that attaches to the back edge of the grill shell. All of that should be done tomorrow or monday and I'll post the update then. In the mean time, here's what I got done today.

The Parts.............

Here it is before..............

Really nice!!!

Gastrick,
That looks really kool. I love the look of louvers, really changed u're car up!!!

BoB

STRAPS ? ? ? ! ! !

bc.jpg

Ha Ha. Until just recently, that's exactly what was holding my deck lid down. :D

Nothing says hot rod like louvers. Man, those look so much better than a plain hood. I was going to ask you who did the louver job, but I guess Rootleib sold it to you that way.

Louvering has become a very strange subject. When we had Dans tonneau cover done we did some research. Heard of prices all the way from $ 1.00 per louver to $ 5 per louver. :eek: We found a shop in Orlando at $ 2 per, and he has 224 in there, which is why we shopped around and ended up going there.

I like your straps too. Looks like you are gearing up for Daytona. :D:D

Don

Don, you are right. I ordered the hood from Rootlieb with the louvers already punched. There is only one place (that I know of) locally that punches louvers and they charge five bucks a copy. Just the louvers alone on that hood would have cost me 650 dollars if I would have had it done locally. :eek:

And an update. I completed fitting and primed the hood and shell with DP90 today but I forgot my camera. I'll take a couple of pics tomorrrow when I put everthing back together.

looks great. on this trip home i am planning to be down your way and i hopefully will be able to make it over to towers before i head back to texas. i forgot though, is it on thursday or friday nights? maybe we can catch up at the meet.

looks great. on this trip home i am planning to be down your way and i hopefully will be able to make it over to towers before i head back to texas. i forgot though, is it on thursday or friday nights? maybe we can catch up at the meet.

It's on Friday nights. Give me a heads up if you can and I'll make sure and be there.

Okay, I got everything back together today. I'm pleased with how it looks. The only thing that is bothering me is the fit of the stainless trim around the grill shell. I'm going to have to work on that later. Here's some pics of the finished project.

Looks good. The hood & flip-out windshield really do give the car a nice look.

man im thinking about getting a louvere punch at thoes prices i could retire........5 bucks a punch holy cow

the hood does look really good....and in the winter the heat from the engine will hopefully exit the louvers and right into your open windshield lol

Wow, that looks fantastic. I like the windshield flipped out too. :D

We actually considered buying a louver press because of the price of having them done by someone, but then we found that guy in Orlando (we lost his card, but will see him again at Daytona and I'll post his name if anyone is interested) He only charges $ 2 a louver and did an amazing job. Here is the tonneau cover he did for us.

Since Dan is going a different direction, I inherited the tonneau cover and am going to cut it a little to fit the Dodge truck. :D:D

Don

Attachments

• RPUTonneauLouvers1001.jpg
    RPUTonneauLouvers1001.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 19
  • RPUTonneauLouvers1004.jpg
    RPUTonneauLouvers1004.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back