Low cost rat rod builds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyone

I'm new to building rat rods and wondering what's considered a RR ? I'm building one with stuff that I've collected over the years, found out in a field, or my wife's kitchen. I'm building a 57 chevy 2dr. rat that will be safe to drive but not fancy.I see some of the builds that look like awesome show pieces, I mean really nice machines. Wondering if there are RR's built with some things that some people would never think of using on their ride, like to see some fine Jury Riggin.

My car has not cost me a lot, I think about $4500 so far and it is a driver. Safe and mechanically sound. The only non car part I think I have on it are the door panels which are plastic shower stall walls. I guess the Rustoleum paint counts also.

;)Sorry for the stupid questions
Stupid ???
I'd rather have someone ask a question like you did because, not every thing that has 1/2/3/4 ?? wheels that's rusted out or painted flat black is a Rat Rod[cl
OK, you're welcome to bash me. I'm just too old to change my way of thinking. You might say, it's a flaw in my caricature :p
My 40 Pontiac chopped top, is made out of multiple vehicles and is still not a rat but, is a hotrod, at least to me :)
I don't know what thread it was but, if memory serves me, sam fear summed it up as best I've ever heard it put :cool:

Stupid ???
I'd rather have someone ask a question like you did because, not every thing that has 1/2/3/4 ?? wheels that's rusted out or painted flat black is a Rat Rod[cl
OK, you're welcome to bash me. I'm just too old to change my way of thinking. You might say, it's a flaw in my caricature :p
My 40 Pontiac chopped top, is made out of multiple vehicles and is still not a rat but, is a hotrod, at least to me :)
I don't know what thread it was but, if memory serves me, sam fear summed it up as best I've ever heard it put :cool:

I hear you Old Iron. I am planning on painting my current project so is it still a RR?
On the hot rods sites it would be called a RR because of the use of different vehicle parts. On the RR sites it is called a Hot Rod due to the plan to paint it. What's a fellow to do[S
Torchie.

I hear you Old Iron. I am planning on painting my current project so is it still a RR?
On the hot rods sites it would be called a RR because of the use of different vehicle parts. On the RR sites it is called a Hot Rod due to the plan to paint it. What's a fellow to do[S
Torchie.

Build what moves you and what you enjoy owning and throw the labels out the window.....

Some still call our lil coupe a ratrod, I'm not so sure it is anymore based on the junk I see people building and calling ratrods....

I am thinking the longer you own the car and the more time, effort etc. you spend on it, the less of a ratrod it becomes?

Cheers
RustyNCA

Build what moves you and what you enjoy owning and throw the labels out the window.....

Some still call our lil coupe a ratrod, I'm not so sure it is anymore based on the junk I see people building and calling ratrods....

I am thinking the longer you own the car and the more time, effort etc. you spend on it, the less of a ratrod it becomes?

Cheers
RustyNCA
i always do RustyNCA just find it amusing that people need to but a label on everything

Ive seen alot of things used in the past let your mind run free and see what happens and im sure it will be good.

One of my favorite quotes: "Free your mind and your ass will follow"
Torchie

I think the personal engineering, the home building and the rougher finish is what makes a ratrod. I sure wish I could incorporate 'fine Jury Rigging' in there, but you thought of it first. My hotrod evolved during the build to be a little too shiny, but the guys still let me talk on the site,[they call it a slick rat], so I think you'll be all right. I have camouflaged in lawn chair legs for taillight brackets, a peanut butter jar around the steering wheel hub, combine tin in the doors, plastic pencil grinder burr containers in the guages, and a strangely bent grade 8 bolt in the shifting sinkage. Does that fall in your 'fine Jury Rigging' ideas? Keep on tinkering.

Last edited:
truck

my son's tribute truck has about $3OOO.OO or so and l not sure what category it fits other than a fun ride:D

does the wheel-barrow fire wall, license plates made into gauge panels, single wide manufactured frame pieces cut out to be used in the C-notching of the rear-end of the truck chassis so the axels cleared without slapping the frame and 1985 honda V-45 Magna motorcycle shocks count in the jury-rigging[S

Later :cool:

Latest posts

Back