Lowering a '59 f100

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custom cabby

Thinking about dropping my '59 F100 down like my '68. I am probably going to do the rear flip and remove a couple springs. What about the front? I know I can remove a couple springs there too but is there anything else I can do? Flip the beam on top of the leafs? And if it matters, I have a 429 in it and a toyota steering box with disc brakes. Thanks.

BTW, not doing a front end swap or the crown vic idea because I want to keep the stock springs... just modify it a bit.

Flipping the beam to ontop of the springs creates more problems...clearance between the axle & oil pan, bad bump steer, frame clearance, etc...

...remove the springs, flip the main leaf over, (which, in effect, reverse's the spring eye), and remove a couple leafs...you may want to only try removing 1 leaf at a time, until you decide on the amount lowered vs. ride quality...

...be careful re-assembling the leaf packs...switch to a shorter, overall diameter of tire...

I've used this method on several Chevy's & Ford's, it usually give's about a 4"-5" drop, and still ride's, drive's and steer's decent...it's not going to ride like a new Cadillac, but you knew that, right?

Yea, I lowered my '68 and know what kind of ride I am probably going to end up with but that's fine by me.

You said flip the spring? Not sure that would even work, will it?

A '59 has dual leaf springs on an I-beam, right?...the main leaf, with the eyelets, pull it out, flip it over, put it back in...why don't you think it will work?...am I missing something?

I understand which one you were talking about but i was thinking that there would be an arch to it and would not be able to be reversed like that. I know my rear springs on my '68 were like that and it was not possible and that's why I was thinking it may not be possible but will check it out.

That's why I was saying to be careful reassembling the leaf pack! It's tricky, and you'll probably need an extra pair of hands, a large C-clamp, and a vice!
But it works...like I said, I've done several, it works well and it's cheap!

Latest posts

Back