maker space

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46FORD$PU

Found a pretty cool thing this week, there is three guys that started a business eight months ago and it seems to be taking off wondering is there another business like in your neck of the woods?
They have a metal shop, wood shop and soon electrical shop in a old warehouse which they have memberships and allow you to use their tools and skills to build stuff as well as offer classes on all kinds of trades.
I'm no welder so I'm going to take a welding course and get a membership so I will be able to learn and work with some craftsmen I am chomping at the bit to get in on the next class.
makerspace.com out of Portsmouth,NH check it out and look to see if you have somthing like it in your area or maybe set something up as a business in your town or city.

Come out here to New Mexico, I'll give you a crash course for free. You don't know anyone that has a welder that can give a few lessons unless your looking to be a certified welder it's really not that hard and like sgtpontiac asked how much for the class and how long is it ..my feelings are if someone wants to learn I'll help..

WOW, good idea !!!! I went and found two sites that's a heck of a idea and a good thing to help others learn ....but what do they charge. back in the day if you wanted to learn something you found someone good at what you wanted to learn and if they were kind enough to teach you, normally you would learn a trade that would feed your family... Good luck get in there and burn some rod or wire ??

Maker Works Ann Arbor

There is a "Maker Space" in Ann Arbor called Maker Works. [cl

http://maker-works.com/

There is an inexpensive one-time fee to "learn" a tool then you can pay by the day, month, or year:

Individual: $35/day, $90/month, $900/year

Family: $90/month for first person + $45 each additional person (15 years and younger are free with an adult membership)

Business: $160/month for 2 members ($80 for each additional member), $1600/year for 2 members ($800 each additional member)

attachment.php

Attachments

• makerworks.png
    makerworks.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 39
I was lucky I guess, self taught on everything except electrical I had to take a college course for that, my wife tells her friends the only thing he cant do is give birth. If y'all tell anyone I'll get upset but one night, I made her curtains. I was bored OK and besides everyone compliments her on them...LOL ....plus the sewing machine is mine I bought it to do leather work ??? I may need to go see a Doctor, I just read that ..LOL

Sewing is very similar (if not easier) than woodworking or metal fab. The machine is just smaller and less likely to "bite" you. Plus, fabric stretches a little and you can cover that last 1/16".

My mom taught me to sew before I learned it was uncool for boys to know how. I am better at sewing than my wife. Her main craft is knitting--which seems super tedious to me. ;)

Classes are $50.00 for non member $25.00 for members.
Monthly membership is $50.00/$35.00 weekend pass/$15.00 weekend day pass.
For the most part I want to be able to use thier tools and learn a few things as well as maybe join in on some members project that they have going on.
One of the cool things I want to get involved in is a 3D printer they have onsite.

Classes are $50.00 for non member $25.00 for members.
Monthly membership is $50.00/$35.00 weekend pass/$15.00 weekend day pass.
For the most part I want to be able to use thier tools and learn a few things as well as maybe join in on some members project that they have going on.
One of the cool things I want to get involved in is a 3D printer they have onsite.

Thats not bad at all, for what you want to learn I say go for it.

Latest posts

Back