making a top for the hapster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finished it. same link on photobucket

Attachments

• DSCN0921.JPG
    DSCN0921.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN0922.jpg
    DSCN0922.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN0926.jpg
    DSCN0926.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 47
That top sets your rod off. I have to be honest when I first looked at your bug, I thought eee ok it looks alright, but now that you started that style top,... it just puts your rod in a whole new catagory of COOLNESS.

Well after my first attempt at the removable top I am going to make Tuck and Roll seat covers and door panels for the hapster.

I had some trouble with fitting the top material under the sewing machine so I found a commercial machine on Craigs list for $50, table, motor and all. Great right? Only if you know how to sew at 200 MPH!

The machine itself has a nice area to fit the material so I looked into reducing the speed of the machine with belts and pulleys. That cost way too much. I then spotted a speed reducer made just for what I have to the tune of $150. The wife said to get it. But then I saw a replacement motor that cost the same that hooks right up and is variable speed! and is 3/4 hp instead of 1/2 with free shipping. So I bought it.

So. I a few days I will continue this thread with drawings of my design for tuck and roll buckets and interior.

And I will be making another top after the seats are done now that I know a little more of how I want it to work.

If you got pics of any tuck and roll, let me see!

Almost forgot I am in the middle of molding the rear fenders into the body and filling the holes. I also ordered a couple of two tube bumpers to play with to see how they will look and am looking for a couple of nicely shaped cycle fenders to attach to the front. It's getting there.

The top gives the car a whole new cool look. Chopped top look instead of top being cut off. Good job and your doing it yourself ! Cool

latest look

Haven't done that much, but now that I have moved I hope to do more than drive it. Although I do enjoy doing that! I am thinking of spraying it with red iron oxide primer and then painting a worn door logo on the sides. Some day I really would like to paint it nice but I still want to do the interior and a new top. I have an old singer commercial machine and table now and plan to really work on it this winter. I am open to any ideas as far as the primer job. I am intrigued by the fake rust paint too.

Attachments

• 010a.jpg
    010a.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 16
If you use regular primer you won't have to try for fake rust, you will get it automatically as regular primer is like a sponge and moisture goes right through. :D If you use epoxy primer (catalyzed) you can leave it forever and it is just like paint as far as blocking moisture.

Don

If you use regular primer you won't have to try for fake rust, you will get it automatically as regular primer is like a sponge and moisture goes right through. :D If you use epoxy primer (catalyzed) you can leave it forever and it is just like paint as far as blocking moisture.

Don

Well I was going to cover any bare metal (there isn't much) with the rust-o-leum rust converter then spray it with the red iron oxide but I probably would be better off with epoxy. I do garage the car and plan on painting it in a year or two.

Latest posts

Back