Making old paint?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyf

I want to add an image to the door on my 30 A

the body is all rust color and has plenty of age on her, but I want to add a logo image some thing like "JOES HOT ROD SHOP" and a picture of a hot rod..............for example.

so how do I "AGE" an image and lettering? The idea I came up with was paint the letters, pain thte image, then set one of those karosen turbin heater aimed at it, close enough to bake it on and "over cook" it for 6-7 hrs, but not so close to damage anything.

good idea? yes no? how do you age an image?[S

Paint it how you want then...

I want to add an image to the door on my 30 A

the body is all rust color and has plenty of age on her, but I want to add a logo image some thing like "JOES HOT ROD SHOP" and a picture of a hot rod..............for example.

so how do I "AGE" an image and lettering? The idea I came up with was paint the letters, pain thte image, then set one of those karosen turbin heater aimed at it, close enough to bake it on and "over cook" it for 6-7 hrs, but not so close to damage anything.

good idea? yes no? how do you age an image?[S

Start sanding it down, more here less there, get it to where you break thru it, break the edges here and there....there was a program on the powerblock /trucks where he did the exact same thing..wet sanding and such until it was where he wanted it...look great..it was a chevy pickup....late 40's early 50's thing...the thing turned out pretty nice all faux patina'd up....might want to check and see if that info is available thru the powerblock site....

Yea, I've got a "ol'skool rodz magazine and basically the same thing.
Paint whatever on your door ( I'd use an enamel paint ), let it dry, wet sand untill you get the look you want. the mag goes one step further and they add water stains with a rag, like where the lettering looks like it left streaks down the door looks pretty cool.
I've been trying to send an attachment, but well like most guys on here computers are NOT the tool of choice.
ol' skool rodz #25 Jan 2008 issue pages 12, 13 & 14. Good luck.......

Yeah, the streetrodder site talked about

painting it, letting it set up a bit and then using reducer on a rag to wipe some of it off to age it....seemed a bit faster and less messy than wet sanding but either way it seems to do the same thing.....

My question is the same as khromatics. What if you have a decent primered body that needs to be aged? Do you add a thin coat of paint and sand until it looks correct? I think the correct way would be to add a thin coat of paint then letter the doors and sand with a fine grit like 600 or numerically higher paper. Does sound like it will work?
I am going to be aging my 72 Chevy truck soon as a tribute to my now deceased step father. He owned a pulpwood company in Alabama that made a lot of money and allowed my mother and myself to live better than you could ever imagine. So now i want my truck to wear his company logo.

Paint your letters then sand down with some 800 grit.

then repaint with another color and sand down again.

use a brush and add some streaks splashes etc and sand again

you can even sand off parts of the letters

Lungs

Latest posts

Back