Maxton, NC

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoddingRon

A man in his natural habitat....a Studebaker
I was in NC for the Foodlion Autofair in Charlotte....got a few things for the Studebaker while walking for two days, but for me the highlight was to go to Maxton on Sunday. The East Coast Timing Association goes to an abandoned air strip in Maxton NC for standing mile speed trials...Go from a standing start to as fast as you can by the end of a mile. Oh yeah...then you have about a mile to get slowed down. They have all kinds of classes for all kinds of cars and motorcycles and all kinds of engine combinations in each. It was such a layed back atmosphere in the pit area...it was just a really fun time. Everyone there was there to go fast , but they all were there to have some fun too. AND, my buddies and I got to witness two world records set...both in the same class and both with in about 20 -25 minutes of each other. The motorcycle class record stood for 5 years at 261mph. We saw a guy go 264 which set the new world record, but like I said about 20 -25 minutes later another guy went 272! It was a fun time, and I know I'll be going back....hopefully with something of my own if things work out. Anyway....here are some pics...

This is looking down the strip from the starting line...and yes there is a slight dog leg there
P4119177.jpg

Yup...anything and everything was welcome to run....as long as it passed tech.
P4119034.jpg

P4119054.jpg

P4119031.jpg

P4119047.jpg

P4119106.jpg

44 cu inches of pure Crosley power.....it went 101 on one of the runs
P4119117.jpg

P4119118.jpg

And last but not least...a few more cubic inches, but a whole lot faster....the world record holder at 272 mph!!!

P4119123.jpg

Cool pics Ron, Thanks for posting![cl I've read about that place before from somewhere, looks like a lot of fun! Great sayings on some of the doors too!:D...CR

This is looking down the strip from the starting line...and yes there is a slight dog leg there.

RR,
Wow... some really kool iron but a "slight" dogleg!?!? Thanks for the pictures! 100+ in a Crosley & 272 on a motorsickle... the old Tripper will have to pass! [ddd

BoB

Latest posts

Back