Measuring for windshield cut

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotwheels

Okay, i have a 1947 ford truck which i chopped 4 inches out of the top. With this truck, it has two windshields. My question is, do i need the new rubber seal for the windshield to take the measurements or can i place a piece of cardboard on the windshield frame and make a template based off of the opening of the windshield. If so, how much windshield do i need to fit against the windshield frame? Place the card board against the windshield frame and trim it until i have a 1/4" of windshield sitting against the windshield frame? I am sure i don't want to have the windshield take up the entire space of the frame since i will have to install the glass into the rubber seal...........

I hope what i am asking makes sense. I have a guy that will cut the glass for me asap, I am just not sure the best way to do this, with the seal or figure out without the seal what size the glass should be......

Attachments

• 47ratrod45 008.JPG
    47ratrod45 008.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 9
Why not take a good look at the seal and see how much space it takes up? Trace a template from the opening and then subtract the seal measurement all the way around the template. The middle post seal may have a different gap.

Make sense? I'll need to do the same thing eventually.

ive done two things
1- make a glass template that barely touches the edge of the frame and use window bedding compound to seal it in. the glass edge will need to be sanded and polished nice though
2-cut the rubber down to size you need leave lil excess on the end, heat up a piece of flat steel plate with a torch nice and hot, then touch the ends so they melt then touch the 2 ends together make sure they are lined up, hold for a good 30seconds, then trim up whatever excess is there. i prefer this way because it looks cleaner, the glass for this should about 1/4" away from the frame
i

Latest posts

Back