Memorial Day - Lest we forget

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29desoto

Outside Rose Lodge, OR, which is outside Otis, whi
I never realized until the last few years that my personal hero was my father, LTC Dale Sanders USA(Retired). Deceased about a year and a half ago, now. Died a peaceful death in the hospital, loved ones by his side.

That man fought in three major conflicts, and did 27 years from WWII to Viet Nam. Many fathers left for work in the morning and came home at five, my father left for work and came home in a year or so.

I recently brought home his papers and documents from his long career, and even I did not realize the things he had done, and the places he had been.

Trained with the British SAS before WWII, aided them in China.

Fought in WWII, various places.

Korea, the forgotten war. No one wanted it. It was too soon after the "big one".

Trained in the first class of Special Forces. Served in the 11th and 7th Special Forces. 101st and 82nd Airborne. And so on.

I think my meager service during the Viet Nam conflict was the first thing I ever did that he approved of. And I did not approve of it.

We had many ups and downs, but he was always my Dad. Always will be.

So while we have our bar-b-ques, tinker on our cars, and generally enjoy the start of summer, lets don't forget.

Would the present generation put down their X-Box controls, drop their I-Phones, turn off the computer and go to a war like that? I hope I never find out the answer, but history has a way of repeating itself.

Thank one of that generation TODAY! They are fading fast. Don't forget. It's too important.

Here's to you, Dad. You done good. Say "Hi" to Laura for me.

PS - If this is too sentimental for you, I will NOT apologize in any way, shape or fashion. Live with it, and live free!

Attachments

• P4100008.JPG
    P4100008.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 32
Awesome post! Thank you so much for sharing this, my father was a WWII vet (combat wounded). Thank God for that generation, there will never be another as great.

Always remember this......Freedom is not free remember those who gave their all for without them we would not be enjoying our privlages of today...Chip..

thanks for the reminder 29.......
we all need to keep the memories of that generation alive--there's never been one any tougher in my opinion.....

great grandpa WW1
uncle in WW2 - tailgunner b-17
another uncle Korea "chaffuer" for a general (i think)
dad pre-vietnam (served in Panama 63-65 motor pool mechanic)

friend and fellow pastor served in desert storm,
another friend & neighbor in nat. guard serving as chaplain's asst. has been in iraq/afganistan for 1 tour - home now

THANKS TO ALL THE BRAVE MEN AND WOMEN WHO HAVE SERVED OR ARE SERVING NOW! MAY GOD BLESS YOU!

once again thanks 29 for the thoughts...& hope i didn't jack the thread.....

My pop joined the Army when he was 14! I guess they didn't check too much back then. Served his time and came home. Waited a few years and signed up again. Got out waited for a few more then joined the Merchant Marines. [cl..CR

thanks 29

alright guys lets' hear from ya......

anyone friend or family member that has left an impression on you b/c of their service to our country.......

lets fill this page in their honor!!!!

[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl

Friend of mine that lives in Florida, we call him "BoatBob" served in Viet Nam and lost his vocal cords to Agent Orange. In spite of that you never met a more patriotic American. Thanks to men like him we still enjoy our freedom. God bless them all!!..:)

Just in case some of you have not heard about this please check out this link and please posts your remarks and comments after reading the story.

If anyone has any doubt about the current bonehead in the whitehouse maybe this will change your minds.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Culture/Defau ... id=1030104

Well it seems this link isnt working any longer by clicking on it so paste it in the web address space.

Steven Leonard Palmquist Lance Corporal
A CO, 1ST BN, 1ST MARINES, 1ST MARDIV, III MAF
United States Marine Corps
Kerman, California
July 11, 1949 to October 02, 1968

Calvin Ray Prater
Private First Class
H CO, 2ND BN, 1ST MARINES, 1ST MARDIV, III MAF
United States Marine Corps
Kerman, California
October 28, 1950 to February 25, 1969

Gary Wayne Ragsdale