mini-NAPA-rant

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
repacking the trailer bearings and i go to napa to get replacement seals
SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS for four of them.
i call the trailer place
two for $5

i noticed that with napa myself. i'm the parts man where i work, and if anyway possible i will not buy from them.

i decided to live large and get the fancy pants ones
$17.80 for four
stand back
hi-rollin bill's in town!

repacking the trailer bearings and i go to napa to get replacement seals
SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS for four of them.
i call the trailer place
two for $5

That's weird I checked with Napa down here and they said $14.50 for the 4.
They must not like you in Albuquerque.

Something seems wrong with those numbers. I agree that NAPA is a little more pricey than some other places but the quality of their parts seems a lot better too. But I can't see that much of a difference, something is off.

(Or maybe you just look like a big spender ,Billy ! :D:D)

I'm getting ready to order the rear brakes for my rpu project and I checked NAPA vs Rock Auto. From NAPA they will cost about $150 and Rock Auto about $78.00, however, shipping will be another $35 because the drums are heavy, so I have decided to go to NAPA because if the parts aren't right I will have to pay shipping back to RA. If I buy them from NAPA I just walk back in the store. The extra $30 or so bucks is worth it to me not to gamble on ordering the right ones on line. Sometimes cheap isn't cheaper.

Don

Something seems wrong with those numbers. I agree that NAPA is a little more pricey than some other places but the quality of their parts seems a lot better too. But I can't see that much of a difference, something is off.

(Or maybe you just look like a big spender ,Billy ! :D:D)

I'm getting ready to order the rear brakes for my rpu project and I checked NAPA vs Rock Auto. From NAPA they will cost about $150 and Rock Auto about $78.00, however, shipping will be another $35 because the drums are heavy, so I have decided to go to NAPA because if the parts aren't right I will have to pay shipping back to RA. If I buy them from NAPA I just walk back in the store. The extra $30 or so bucks is worth it to me not to gamble on ordering the right ones on line. Sometimes cheap isn't cheaper.

Don
i dunno if the seals the kid pulled from the back were for a rolls royce or what but they were just a bit thicker than mine.
the ones at the trailer store are exactly like the originals.
they had a big bin of them by the front door.

If you live in a fairly large city there should be a bearing store. they sell seals gears and all types of industrial supplies. 99% of the time they are way cheaper. and the products are top notch.

If you live in a fairly large city there should be a bearing store. they sell seals gears and all types of industrial supplies. 99% of the time they are way cheaper. and the products are top notch.

the place i went to is nothing but trailer parts
CENTRAL TRAILER PARTS

if i woulda had more money i would have bought a bunch of them and some grease and cotter pins just to have in one of the storage bins.

That does seem like a very high price for those. I actually like NAPA, its the only place around me that i can go and actually find a parts guy who's knowledgeable/ willing to help. There prices are slightly higher but Ive honestly never been dissatisfied with the quality of the parts or service that i get. So that's the reason i always go back.

-Chris

With anything you need to shop around at parts stores. I learned that from my dad's automotive shop. Call Napa and a part might be $50, while at another place it might be $20, and for the next part Napa is lower.

I bought a sending unit for my 65 GMC from NAPA and didn't check prices elsewhere...I found out that LMC had one for 35 bucks while NAPA was 85....Now I price check for everything....

Thomas [;)

It is a shame that none of these places depend on the old 'books' any longer.
They can only look up a part by year, make, and model.

I usually say '49 chevy truck, '54 chevy 235 engine, '00 blazer rear end, '88 s10 T5 tranny, 80's chevy disk brakes....you should see the confused looks I get then. :confused:

Dont even try to get them to cross reference a part with out having the number yourself first.

It is a shame that none of these places depend on the old 'books' any longer.
They can only look up a part by year, make, and model.

I usually say '49 chevy truck, '54 chevy 235 engine, '00 blazer rear end, '88 s10 T5 tranny, 80's chevy disk brakes....you should see the confused looks I get then. :confused:

Dont even try to get them to cross reference a part with out having the number yourself first.

I don't walk into a NAPA or other parts store without a part number. Ask them for a 3-line chevy fuel pump and their eyes go cross. They should know that without a computer.

I found out last week the company I work gets a very good price cut compared to me. I asked for the price on something and got the price so I said I would take it, then I said put it on my acct. then the price went up. I complained and got it for the original price but was told I had to talk to corporate to try to get the better rate. We used to have a great Napa, the kind that you could bring in an old bearing without numbers and know you would be leaving with a new one. They stocked everything and had common sence until the owner passed away and a relative bought it. He now has a pile of stores and carries the inventory between them all. You can always get a part just may be a few hours depending on what store the napa van is at.

Latest posts

Back