Model A roadster rearend width?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottm

I am building a model A roadster and need to know what rearend any of you guys are using. I have a chev rearend(not sure what it is, came with it when I got it). I thinks it's 56 inches, but it seems too wide for it. Just wanted to see what you guys where running and maybe what out there is 52 or 54 inches wide. I would like to stay chev if possible, but others are fine also. Thanks guys, Scott

If you are talking wheel flange surface to wheel flange surface, I think the S10 rear in my T is something like 52 inches, and a bit narrow. I had to use very deep reversed wheels. I understand the 4 x 4 S10 rears are a little wider, like 54 inches. Most hot rodders shoot for something like 56 inches as I remember.

Nice thing about the 4 x 4 rears is that they also come with good gear ratios and some are posi. I was worried about breaking mine at first, but I have smoked it a few times and so far so good. :D:D

Don

56 inches is consided about the average standard width for an early hot rod rear. That's measured wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface.

Thanks guys for the input, I did measure it like you guys said, from wheel surface to wheel surface and it is 56 inches. I think I will check into a S10 rearend, I know where one is sitting, maybe get it cheap. I appreciate the replies and I'll try to get a pic up in the next couple weeks, Scott

I am building a model A roadster and need to know what rearend any of you guys are using. I have a chev rearend(not sure what it is, came with it when I got it). I thinks it's 56 inches, but it seems too wide for it. Just wanted to see what you guys where running and maybe what out there is 52 or 54 inches wide. I would like to stay chev if possible, but others are fine also. Thanks guys, Scott

Why not just use this one if it the right width?

If he is going to run fenderless a couple inches shouldn't matter . It's not like the tires are going to rub on anything.

I had a 12 bolt off a 1980 chev 1/2 ton and it was 56" wide, once I dropped the body of my '31 Model A in there it was rubbing so I went with a Ford 9" off an '86 F150 that is 58" wide. The rims I wanted to use had a 3.5" backspace so I added 1" spacers to get the different bolt pattern and a little more room. I haven't put the body back on yet but I figure I'll have 1.5-2" clearance on each side at the widest part. The outside is 84" full width:D, now I gotta find some finned drums and it's eating up a lot of garage space.

Sean

Attachments

• P9090615.JPG
    P9090615.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 26
  • P9090612.JPG
    P9090612.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 22
Like in sgo's case, if the body is channeled or the chassis is Z'd to the point that the tires are are higher than the fender well coves in the body, the rear will have to be wider than 56 inches.

I want a snug fit, the 56 is just a tick wide for what I want, that's why i wanted to know what some of you guys are running. I can space it out 1/4, 3/8 each side if I need to. If 56 is the standard, that's fine, and that's why I ask, this is the first roadster I've done. Thanks for all the input, Scott

Hey guys, I appreciate all your help and input, i am going to run my old american racing rims on the back which in turn has about a 4 inch offset and therefore I will need the 56 inch rearend afterall, imagin that:). Again I appreciate the input, thanks Scott

Latest posts

Back