Model A spindle options

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiley

Hi all! Ive started a build using an original 1930 model a chassis.Im trying to keep cost down but definately want to upgrade brakes.Just thought Id throw this question out there. Do I have many options using the original spindles or is it easier to swap out spindles to a newer model?[P

As far as I know there are no hyd brakes that fit on the A spindle. You have to change the spindles to something from 37-48. Someone correct me if I am wrong as I am not 100% positive about that.

As far as I know there are no hyd brakes that fit on the A spindle. You have to change the spindles to something from 37-48. Someone correct me if I am wrong as I am not 100% positive about that.

I believe that you are correct. If they are out there I have never seen them either.

Yes,,Ive seen the spacer kit.Question again,,by using the 37-48 spindles Im only limited to using drums or are those more adaptable to disc setups?

Allright guys,,hows everyone doin?,,Got another question. This time Im still working on the 30 Model A frame,,rear end. Im using the stock rear crossmember and buggy spring with an 8.8 ford rear. What type of link setup is going to work best. It doesnt seem that I would benefit from a four bar rear. leaning more on rear radius rods or ladders.

from what I've read the original radius rods aren't strong enough to run on a rear end without an enclosed drive shaft like on the original drive train and that is not done with a modern rear end.

Kenny is right. Original radius rods were made to work ONLY in conjunction with the torque tube. Once you remove the torque tube you have weakened the whole thing and if you try to use just the radius rods they will break in time.

Don

Thank you! I guess I'd have to agree that the hairpins do look more nostalgic.Been looking on ebay and at speedway. Was toying with the notion of using the original radius rods back there . Kinda confusing sometimes,,there are alot of options and no real rules other than make it safe and make it strong.

Latest posts

Back