Model A title.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadRATT

I have heard several things about titles for Model A's.I have heard there isnt a title per say,but only a registration card and the vin is found on the frame.I was wondering if anyone knows exactly how the vin should run? I heard Model A's start with a star *,but heard no they dont.They start with the letter A then several numbers.I am trying to find out how many numbers and letters the REALLY did use,and how the should look.Any help..?[P

Whether or not your vehicle has a physical title or not is regulated by state law, not vehicle make or model. Some states do only issue a registration card for vehicles over a certain age, but Michigan is not one of them. A Model A Ford would have a state-issued title just like a Toyota Corolla.

Model A's also do not have a "VIN" per say. The original titles for the A's used the engine number for identification. The Model A engine number can be found on the boss on the driver's side of the engine just below the head. It was stamped on the engine after the break-in period. It takes the form of a star, followed by either an A or AA, then the number, and finally another star. The AA was originally used to specify a heavy duty clutch for use in the large trucks. Soon all engines had this clutch and the AA engine number was dropped. The engines were then crated and shipped to the assembly plants.

As the engine was dropped into the frame the same engine number was stamped on the top of the left frame rail, to the rear of the firewall position. The number on the frame is not visible without lifting the body, and even then, it can be difficult to find. It may be lost in the rust completely. Often times the frame and engine numbers do not match, due to the swapping of engines in the car's history. There were also differences in the font used for the numbers over the years.

Hope that helps. I've still got that bridge "FOR SALE" too... [ddev

Latest posts

Back