Model A Wishbone strength?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Pikup

Hey all, not much of a poster on here, do alotta browsing and reading, time to do some posting now! lol

I'm building a 52 Dodge truck, picked up a 392 Hemi for it, looking at a set of (stock) wishbones from a Model A, anyone know if they'll hold up to weight of a 392?

Thanks for the help!

-Anthony

Wishbones were not designed to support any weight. They were designed to locate the axle and prevent forward and backward movement. The spring and perches support the weight.

While Model A wisbones are smaller than the later units, they are plenty strong. They really only act to locate the axle - they don't carry much if any actual weight. If the pivot point is properly set and the perches don't bind you will be fine.

I am assuming you are talking about the front axle here. If it's the rear, well that's a whole different story and the answer would be a resounding NO.

Of course my $.02 would be to leave the front sheetmetal on the truck, as those pilothouse Dodges can look pretty wonky without it. Would be a cool little slammed hauler with that Hemi tucked in the doghouse...

While Model A wisbones are smaller than the later units, they are plenty strong. They really only act to locate the axle - they don't carry much if any actual weight. If the pivot point is properly set and the perches don't bind you will be fine.

I am assuming you are talking about the front axle here. If it's the rear, well that's a whole different story and the answer would be a resounding NO.

Of course my $.02 would be to leave the front sheetmetal on the truck, as those pilothouse Dodges can look pretty wonky without it. Would be a cool little slammed hauler with that Hemi tucked in the doghouse...

Yes front end, sorry, shoulda specified... im actually gonna go with a 47 back dodge truck grille and smooth the doors, so it shouldn't look terrible.. thanks for the advice fellas!

Latest posts

Back