Modern Ford Rat Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba650

Ok, Rat Rods are different things to different people. After working on various project cars for the last 30+ years, and not to offend anyone, but I really don't like rust too much. I like everything (chassis, engine, etc.) painted to look decent, the body without any rust holes or showing bodywork (just in primer is fine), and myself, very little if any chrome, oh, and of course, low, loud, and fast. So, I found a Ford Ranger cheap, sold off a lot of parts that I didn't need, and wound up with a pretty much rustfree cab with a good title for less than free - I made money over what I paid for it!

So, the plan is to build the front and rear frame out of 2 X 4 tubing, I already modifed the stock frame in the center to tuck up better and tied in my back half. I will be runnign a 9 inch ford rearend, a model A straight axle at the front, fabricated old style bed, 350 or 400 sbc/turbo 350 driveline, and an old 1950 beer keg my dad had for a gas tank. Likely paint the body flat black primer and the frame gloss black with a red engine. It may not be real old, but I am building everything myself (sometimes with help from my dad who is a life long hot rodder/drag racer) using parts I have or get cheap and I am enjoying the build as I have time to work on it. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Ranger-May 4 2010.jpg
    Ranger-May 4 2010.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 148
  • Ranger-May 16 2010.jpg
    Ranger-May 16 2010.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Ranger-JULY 24 2010.jpg
    Ranger-JULY 24 2010.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Ranger-Aug 11 2010.jpg
    Ranger-Aug 11 2010.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Ranger-Aug 13 2010.jpg
    Ranger-Aug 13 2010.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Ford Axle - Apr 29 2010.jpg
    Ford Axle - Apr 29 2010.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 152
  • Keg - Apr 23 2010.jpg
    Keg - Apr 23 2010.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 115
cool

l like every thing but the straight axle, a good IFS can't be beat for drivability and handling.

of course, that is my opinion, ----results may variey[dr

keep us updated. theres a guy who did that with a 1970 ford cab and made a roadster and the one guy did a S-10 cab massivally chopped and a bunch of other mods to make a rat.

Later :cool:

Last edited:
I'm going to agree with Skull on the straight axle. You're not exactly fooling anyone with what you have. So don't try to. You can build a really cool ride with modern metal and old school thinking. There's no reason to fabricate the truck to adapt a straight when it's already set up the way it is. In my own experience at least you should make it cool with what you have. Modern cab and old axle just don't mix. Of course look who's talking. But at least I didn't go straight axle. Do what you want in the end. Dare to be different.:cool:

l like every thing but the straight axle, a good IFS can't be beat for drivability and handling.

of course, that is my opinion, ----results may variey[dr

But IFS ain't pretty on a fenderless. Then again it's a latemodel.... Not exactly in the rule book. :D

rule book?

But IFS ain't pretty on a fenderless. Then again it's a latemodel.... Not exactly in the rule book. :D

rule book? l didin' see no stinkin' rule book[ddd

is theer 'spoossta be a rule book?:confused: [S

no one toll' me, l am so outta the da loop :eek:

yer goonna has ta send me one sam, so l kin play by da rules[cl

Later[dr

There is no front part of the frame yet. I cut off the stock frame about 9 inches in front of the firewall or so with the intention of building the rest out of 2X4 tubing like I am using on the back. I am pretty much throwing out the rulebook on this one and making it up as I go, but I will likely stick with the straight axle as I feel it looks better on a fenderless rod. It is upside down, but this picture is what is left of the stock frame that I am using under the cab. The 2 braces at the front are temporary to hold the rails in place after I removed the front crossmember. I cut off the bottom of the stock frame to make it tuck up better and then welded in 1/4 X 2 X 2.5 angle to reinforce it. The plan is to get the back half rolling and then move on to the front.

Attachments

• Ranger frame - July 20 2010.jpg
    Ranger frame - July 20 2010.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 97
just remember, being that new of a truck it will still have to pass all inspection and emmisions laws. Many states do not allow and frame modifications and you might get bagged on stuff like frame height or bumper height laws. Just a heads up

just remember, being that new of a truck it will still have to pass all inspection and emmisions laws. Many states do not allow and frame modifications and you might get bagged on stuff like frame height or bumper height laws. Just a heads up

Good point! I would hate to see you do all that work and not be able to get it legally tagged! Be worth checking the local laws! Other then that it sounds interesting and lets see some more pics of the progress.

Back to work on the Rat finally...

Well, I am ready to get back to work on my Ranger Rat Rod project. I took some time off to enjoy the summer weather and to finish up a motorcycle project enough that I could sell it. The bike is gone now and I have more space and some funds for parts. I came across a real deal on a complete Fiero front suspension and have decided to use that instead of the straight axle. I know it won't look as good, but it should be ok when it is done and it will handle a lot better and save me a pile of money. I also picked up the tilt steering column from the same car and some 15" wheels that fit it. If anyone else has used a Fiero or Chevette (pretty much the same) front suspension on a build, I would like to see some pictures of the setup. I plan to put it clear to the front of the frame.

Attachments

• 650 - Oct 10 2010.jpg
    650 - Oct 10 2010.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Fiero front suspension - Oct 17 2010.jpg
    Fiero front suspension - Oct 17 2010.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Ranger-Aug 13 2010.jpg
    Ranger-Aug 13 2010.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 113
I looked into using a Fiero front suspension. There's lots of aftermarket parts like tubular A-arms for it so you can make it look nicer if you want. Glad you are back on the project.

Progress over the winter

I realized it had been quite some time since I posted any pics. In the back, got the 4 link made and in place, also the rearend center section is done (3.89 posi). I just made some bars to hold it at ride height until I get all the weight in it, then I will mount my coilovers. Up front, we got the front frame made and the Fiero front end mounted. I can got down another 2 inches in the front if I want to - again - waiting to see where I am once all the weight is in the truck. Also got the engine and trans mounts done, floor clearance for the 5 speed and clutch linkage, and found some ebay headers I liked. I am using the engine out of my last drag car for mock up as the engine I will be using was at my dad's shop when I started the mounts and I had 4 foot of snow in front of my shop. I still have a lot of finish welding, plating and bracing to do on my chassis, plus some firewall work, and so on after I get the clutch linkage and steering finished.

Attachments

• right side - Ranger.jpg
    right side - Ranger.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 171
  • bodywork trimmed.jpg
    bodywork trimmed.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 150
I'm new here but this is exactly what I had in mind but with the factory 4 banger so it could be used as a way cool daily driver for cheap. The front suspenion was what really had be puzzled but that looks great! saw a T bucket with an after market IFS set up that look very similar to the one your using. painted up it looked good and blended in quite well.

Latest posts

Back