Modern Ford Rat Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to throw 2 ideas at you. I came up with them during a discussion about late model rats. If you chop it and have to deal with the front glass anyhow...

Cut the cab front to back, except the rear wall, and pinch the front in 4"-8", to angle the sides in toward the grille like a 30's cab does. Yeah, it would be some work, and I don't know if a cut down the center or 2 cuts on the sides would be needed. Also change the cowl and roof so you can use a flat glass, split (with a post down the center) windshield.

Just some ideas for you to chew on....

I'm going to throw 2 ideas at you. I came up with them during a discussion about late model rats. If you chop it and have to deal with the front glass anyhow...

Cut the cab front to back, except the rear wall, and pinch the front in 4"-8", to angle the sides in toward the grille like a 30's cab does. Yeah, it would be some work, and I don't know if a cut down the center or 2 cuts on the sides would be needed. Also change the cowl and roof so you can use a flat glass, split (with a post down the center) windshield.

Sam, what page was that on?:D........Nice build...but what about the laws about getting a newer truck inspected once it has been altered such a great deal?...I know up here you couldn;t get it licenced...I don't know what your dmv's are like there?...just askin[S

I actually thought about narrowing the front of the cab like that but decided not to as I kept the stock frame and body mounts under the cab to make it all easier where I can get it on the road sooner with my limited time to work on it - plus it isn't overly roomy anyway being a small truck. I may do the V windshield thing if I end up chopping the top down the road. I am 6'2"" tall though, so depends what kind of seats I use as to if I would want the roof any lower. I am thinking about filling the back window area and just cutting a small oval opening like some of the late 40's trucks had. I am lucky enough to live in an area with no vehicle inspections, so all I need to get plates is to get basic coverage insurance and take my title I have for the truck cab into the DMV - no questions about mods are asked here. Then I just have to try not to get stopped for anything while driving it.:)

Sam, what page was that on?:D........Nice build...but what about the laws about getting a newer truck inspected once it has been altered such a great deal?...I know up here you couldn;t get it licenced...I don't know what your dmv's are like there?...just askin[S

Mighta been a conversation in my head?

At least in Iowa, there is no inspection. If it's got title, all you need is the paper and your good. The cops might be another matter, but not likely.

i dont know about this one i respect all the work you done so far but it dosent look right to me... yet but i bet it will look good when your done

Sorry to go back to the title and inspection thing,but the problem I can see would be the insurance coverage.Even if you get a title without inspection and get insured as a Ranger,what would happen if,and I hope you never, get in an accident and the adjuster comes out and sees a completely altered vehicle from stock,which it is insured for,then they can say you are not covered.If your accident caused major damage and harm to someone,you would be stuck with a pretty huge bill.
Just something to check out.

Yeah, I wouldn't think of splitting the cab unless you were already to change up the windshield. But I strongly suggested it if you did chop it. (especially since I wouldn't be doing the work :eek:)

Also, for a grille, don't go for the 32 style upright grille - it's always a mistake on a widebody. Come up with something more wide than tall that better matches the cab.

I've been bouncing this very same idea around between my two brain cells for years... My thought (plan?[S) was to use a regular cab S-10 (square body) and basically cut a big wedge out of the entire cab and front clip. Basically redesign the whole cab and front end to match the profile of something much earlier. I would also cut the roof of to make a roadster pickup and use a shortened and narrowed S-10 bed to keep the body lines matched up.:cool: The design of this excites me... However, I can see that the fab work could be a nightmare.:eek:

I'm diggin' the Fiero frnt end, too. Another idea that's been rolling around in my head for some time.:cool:

Looking forward to seeing more work on this little fella when it happens, I'd totally forgotten about this one![P

Regards,
Shea:)

Thanks for the interest guys! Guess it has been quite some time since I posted anything. I got sidetracked on some other projects, but have made some progress. I got the engine and trans in that I am using, done some painting here and there including a rattle can semi-gloss job on the cab. The rear suspension is pretty much done, I put in some stiffer springs on the front, and got the clutch linkage done. I haven't worked on it much lately, but hope to hit it hard over the winter.

Attachments

• Truck front and back.jpg
    Truck front and back.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Truck clutch linkage.jpg
    Truck clutch linkage.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Truck front.jpg
    Truck front.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 67
How about more pics of the frt susp install. Curious to see how you did the Fiero frt end since I have 2 of them.

Front End Mounting

We welded some 1/4" thick angle to the main frame rails and bolted them to the factory Fiero mount locations. Wound up with a 1/4" spacer between the angle and front end for rack clearance. Then we came down off of the frame rail with 2X4 and made 1/4" thick tabs to locate the rear of the lower control arms. I boxed those to the frame and also built plates that I welded to the frame and bolted to the front end using the 10MM threaded holes at the top of the springs. I decided after getting the engine and trans in that the front springs were too weak so I installed some new ones for a Chevette 4 door with a/c. I'm sure there are better options, but I knew they would fit. I was able to use some GM steering shaft pieces I had which are 3/4 DD and connected the ranger column to the stock Fiero steering shaft. I added two steering shaft supports. I just bought some shocks for the front of a Fiero and was able to mount the top of them to my frame - the bottom went in the stock Fiero location.

Attachments

• control arm mounts2.jpg
    control arm mounts2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 53
  • front end - May 4 2011.jpg
    front end - May 4 2011.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 55
  • FRONT END.jpg
    FRONT END.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 55
I like it a lot! I've been thinkin of this for a long time and I was thinkin if I were to do this I would section and do a healthy chop to make the cab look better with the open wheel look.

Latest posts

Back