Moral Issue

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first started out in the garage business I thought I NEEDED every job that came through the door. It took me a while to figure out there were jobs I didn't need or want. People who are shopping for the cheapest deal, let them go to the guy who knows what he's worth, never try to be the cheapest guy or you will always have the cheapskate snivveling customers. Set your own shop policies and stick to them, never ever let customers dictate shop policies.

When I first started out in the garage business I thought I NEEDED every job that came through the door. It took me a while to figure out there were jobs I didn't need or want. People who are shopping for the cheapest deal, let them go to the guy who knows what he's worth, never try to be the cheapest guy or you will always have the cheapskate snivveling customers. Set your own shop policies and stick to them, never ever let customers dictate shop policies.

Excellent advice![cl Once the customer gains control, it's all downhill!!!..CR

the question is what are you going to do when they
come to you and want you to build another?
thats my best bet of what will happen-- if the
guys cousin could have done the whole thing
to begin with then why didnt they have him do it?

This is a little off the main subject but I thought worth sharing. A shop owner I worked for told me this. He was called in to be an expert witness for a mechanic who was on trial and being sued because of a brake failure. The mechanic had properly diagnosed the needs (brake work) and presented it to the owner. The owner chose to only do a partial job so the mechanic did what the owner asked. The mechanic still lost. The judge said he was supposed to be the expert and should have declined to do any part of the job if the customer didn't want it done right. Once you touch a system, you can be liable for anything pertaining to it, whether it was your work or not.
So the next time some customer wants to cheap out and have you do half-baked work, tell them that story.

I have had several people over the last couple years approach me about building cars for them . There always seems to be an issue over price , not that my price is to high , it's that it is impossible to quote a set price on a build . I have struggled with this several times , people are so locked in on specifics like I'll pay this and not a penney more ! So if you go over on price are you just screwed ? I personaly don't want to deal with the individuals changing their minds constantly . I think for me as a "part time " builder that I'm better off building a car and selling it instead of building a car for someone . Tex , I don't have an answer for you other than getting out of that deal and walking away is probably best . We all live and learn , but we hope it doesn't cost us alot .

i think the guy who owned the shop was my biggest problem, he owns a body shop. and it was like he was competing with me on who got done first, he was building a 46 ford which i worked on also, i built all tne motor mounts and trans also,, he instal a 55 tbird motor and tran, everyday i had to deal with his imput, and when i went against his input it was kinda like he was punishing me doin stuff like tying up the lift or the welder for a day or two,, !
kinda had 3 cheif one tellin me build itlike itwas yours(kid who owned the truck) and shop owner and the kids dad, who ploted the job, which neither knew which way to go..Oh on a funny note! TThey ask me if i was going to the hot rod run next year with them in P.F TN. i said no i was goin to the rumble in lebanon tn! they acted like they got offended! so i say i want to go to a show that has the stuff i am interested in not a bunch of easter eggs, im into rats! so they acted like it hurt their feelings! i guess what i am trying to say the whole deal , dealin with them it was kinda childish. ok i guess i done with my rant! BOOO HOO ME!! LOL:D I tell myself all the time i am not
going to work for the public anymore , i guess i am just goin to have to stick to no matter how much money is involved! Better to live in poverty than live in Hotrod nightmares! :Dthanks again you guys its so nice to have folks support you desicions!!!

Hey Rev, I'm kinda on Coop's side. I wouldn't have taken any money, but I would have disassembled what I had done, the YOOPER way, with a 9/16's HOT WRENCH. Then told him to have fun and left.

Great call as a ratter and a Christian. Cant please everyone and God will help ya out with other jobs for being respectfull about it to him. [cl

Great call as a ratter and a Christian. Cant please everyone and God will help ya out with other jobs for being respectfull about it to him. [cl

Well said. That's one of the laws of the universe, you get back what you project. There is never anything that someone else does which releases you from being a decent human being and doing the right thing. I think you did the right thing.

Rev, I think you got the support of the broad. You did the right thing.

Like I posted earlier. I wish I did the same thing. That way I would not hear about the Dist. I Burned up even through someone else hooked it up backwards. some times when I hear it a just want to go over am choke the guy.

Rev, a few years back I had a garage (very close to Walnut Grove)and did a lot of welding / fab work too. Had a man that a friend and myself called "tack it", he would always come by wanting me to build something and he would say just tack it.

Well he never had enough money to pay in full, alawys keep a tab running. He left some material around my shop for a while and I used some. When he came by, I told him of this and we agreed that I would take the price he wanted off his tab. Showing him his tab he disagreed about what he owed. I had to get to bed (worked third shift) and told him I would handle it the next morning. Didn't sleep much and felt like h... that night. Well the next morning after getting home he shows up saying if I really thought I had the right amount wrote down then he could live with it. I said no we would go by what he thought was right, because I wasn't going to be acussed of "robbing" someone, But I did have a solution for the problem in the future. He what was that. I said " from now on "When the welding leads are rolled up I get paid" No problems with keeping track of anything.

Actually he quit coming around after that which was fine, for he was always wanting something for nothing. I think it cost me about fourty bucks, but it could have been worse.

I have told people to hit the drive way and at the road turn left or right and don't come back more than once.

You did the right thing.

Latest posts

Back