more 54 chevy car spindle questions???????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopper tom

Way too young to be a hippy!
Does anyone know if 54 chevy car spindles will fit on a 50 chevy truck axle ?
If so ,is it a direct swap ? I know that the 5 lug drums arew a direct swap but i have not tryed the spindals . I do know that the bolt patterns for the backing plates are slightly differant .

Not sure, but here is what I do know. When I was looking for spindles and brakes for my Dodge truck project I bought what were supposed to be '49-54 Chevy car spindles on Ebay. Turned out they were truck spindles from that era instead. As you mentioned, the backing plate mounting holes are like 4 1/8 inches apart vs 3 and something for the car ones. But when I put the spindles on the axle the kingpin went in, but the end of the spindle was pointing up in the air, evidently the trucks have a different camber.

However, I do sort of remember an article in some magazine from way back about putting better brakes on one of these early Chevy truck axles. I just can't remember where or when I saw it. I think it was some way to adapt something like Pontiac drum brakes or some similar setup.

I tried googling to get you some info but came up dry. I'll keep trying and if I turn up anything I'll let you know.

Don

I did a little searching on the HAMB, and here is what I came up with when someone else asked the same question:

who makes a kit to put 5 lug wheels on a 50 chevy truck?was told you might be able to use 53 car spindles,they make a disc kit for those right?

54 car hubs will bolt on, you have to change the backing plate and brakes to a 51 up to match.
The 40 were huck style and the 51 and up are bendix style.

Its an easy bolt on swap,and gives you better brakes.

There is a $100 kit to put 5-lug disk brakes on the stock spindles of a 1/2-ton '50 Chevy truck.

No need to convert to other spindles first. Check places like Classic Performance Parts (http://www.classicperform.com) and you should find what you need.

you can use49-54 Chevy CAR drums on the truck spindels AND use all the stock truck brake parts. you have to change the inner bearing on the car drums. that'll give you 5 lug in the front but it is all still the stock truck drum brakes otherwise.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Don

Thanks guys ,i knew about the disc kits but i was just trying to change the spindles because the truck ones looked kinda rough and if it was an easy swap that i might just use what i had if it worked .
Some times i'm so tight i sqeak?

chevy truck brake,hub swap

I did this swap some years ago on my 51 chevy half ton, al i believed I did was use the hubs and drums off a 49-54 chevy car and was a bolt on , both use the same size shoes, Dave:cool:

I just picked up a 51 Chev pick up with a 3/4 ton front axle (8 lugbolt pattern). I'd like to change the pattern to a 1/2 ton 5 lugbolt pattern. Are the spindles the same, or do I have to swap out the whole axle?

Yup, been a while...got the 52 Ford pick up almost complete, still got the interior do do. Have been driving it from club meetings to swap meets to shows.

I got the 51 Chev pick up for the kid to learn rodding. but it's a 3/4 ton. I looked into it this morning and found the 1/2 ton had a 6 lug bolt pattern. He's going to go nuts trying to find hubs/rims/brakes etc.
Is there an easier way to swap the front and rear axles to something newer with a Chevy 5 lug bolt pattern, without going the aftermaket route?

Hi Lakota, glad to see you back again. :D Don't hold me to this, but I think 49-54 passenger car front drums bolt on, with maybe just a bearing change. I am doing that from memory, and that is getting worse every day.

As for the rear, I know of no way except a rear end swap, or maybe redrilling the flange and brake drum to a new, 5 bolt pattern.

I know that isn't a lot of help, but I just wanted to say hi mainly. :):)

Don

hay,lakota .i know for sure that the 49-54 chevy car drums will work on the 6 lug change strait swap out ,but on the 8 lug axle ,i'm not so sure but would like to know for sure too.
You could redrill the back drums and axles to make it 5 lug but would be better to just swap them out to a newwer rear.

Latest posts

Back