More Aggressive Cam = Stall Converter???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmel

Pardon me if this is a dumb question, as I'm still learning the ropes (and will be for quite some time).

I have a 305, with a TH350 w/manual shift valve body. Do I need a high stall converter to run with one of those thumper cams?

You didn't say what converter you are using now but In a nutshell, you could probably get away with a stock (or similar) converter, but your life would be easier with a converter that is a bit looser. You also didn't mention which Thumper you want to use. They make at least three different grinds I think for a sbc.

I agree with Bill, the stock convertor will probably be ok, but you are going to lose a little bottom end, so deeper gears in the rear might actually be a better investment. I ran a stock convertor in my 23 and sometimes a light car with a cam will try to push the car at red lights, but mine was fine that way. Put the cam in, and see if you have a problem first before you go changing the convertor.

Don

Without a stall you'll need to increase idle speed which makes living with the car on a daily basis in general a real PIA.............greatly depends on how aggressive the idle though. On a low compression 305 a big cam is not going to help performance though but probably wont matter if ur just wanting the lumpy sound though.

What exactly does a higher stall converter do? Will it affect the way the car drives or accellerates?

what the hi stall will do is let the engine make more rpm before pulling it down .with big cams the engine need to see more rpm to get in to the new power band as you go up on duration more stall will be needed .but LSA plays in to this as well . with a stock stall it will hold down the engine at a idle and you will get pulling at a stop lite with your foot on the brake. the stall number is reach when it start to hook up under a load pulling the engine down.to find this a load is needed tran s brake or foot brake if you can hold it you will see when it starts to pull hard to do with a foot brake.to see this you would look at rpm with a tac .flash stall is what the converter see s in low gear and you hit the gas .other things come in to play weight of car or truck .gearing .size of carb or carbs , size of cam dur .lsa .cr. engine power and tq as for the manual valve bodys that will not have any bearing on the stall you just have gone fully manual shift points and have no down shifting or up . on gear braking when you let off the gas . your running full line pressure as well i thinking so shifts are firm .i ran 400s trans on the street like this for 30 years there fun

what the hi stall will do is let the engine make more rpm before pulling it down .with big cams the engine need to see more rpm to get in to the new power band as you go up on duration more stall will be needed .but LSA plays in to this as well . with a stock stall it will hold down the engine at a idle and you will get pulling at a stop lite with your foot on the brake. the stall number is reach when it start to hook up under a load pulling the engine down.to find this a load is needed tran s brake or foot brake if you can hold it you will see when it starts to pull hard to do with a foot brake.to see this you would look at rpm with a tac .flash stall is what the converter see s in low gear and you hit the gas .other things come in to play weight of car or truck .gearing .size of carb or carbs , size of cam dur .lsa .cr. engine power and tq as for the manual valve bodys that will not have any bearing on the stall you just have gone fully manual shift points and have no down shifting or up . on gear braking when you let off the gas . your running full line pressure as well i thinking so shifts are firm .i ran 400s trans on the street like this for 30 years there fun

lsa.....lobe separation angle?

lsa.....lobe separation angle?

yep a cam on a 108 will make the stall work better then one on a 116 art carr told me that 20 years ago . on a mild cam your moving the power band as the lsa moves CID will come in to play .now a cam like lets say a 820/780 lift and 290 /309 @ 050 ground on a 116 lsa then not so much at going to have over lap any thing that moves the power band comes in to play how much stall you need or may see

820/780 lift and 290 /309 @ 050 ground on a 116 lsa then not so much at going to have over lap any thing that moves the power band comes in to play how much stall you need or may see

Guys....hahha.....I'm gonna sit this on out.....[cl[P[;)

I gave up on these types of conversations. No matter what you say, some one else knows it better. Just google it and your answer will magically appear without the drama.....[P

820/780 lift and 290 /309 @ 050 ground on a 116 lsa then not so much at going to have over lap any thing that moves the power band comes in to play how much stall you need or may see

Guys....hahha.....I'm gonna sit this on out.....[cl[P[;)
why do that [P yep that cam was a bit over the top i try to stay under 280 @ 050 on the street ground on a lsa 112 one i using know is 741/731 @050 276.6 /287.5 114 in my donovan 632 pump gas engine abit rubbery down under 3000 rpm but 45000. to 7500 it like burning nitro in a freight train... hang on... my new 735 donovan will use a custom grind i had Erson grind me to my liking thats about the same but 800 lift and moved the lsa out to 116 going with the big chief heads old dart cnc heads abit small but it will be like a 454 with O ports heads ;) some of the parts for the 11.500 deck donovan and a shot of the small 632 donovan in my gto

Attachments

• 000_0822.JPG
    000_0822.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 000_0820.JPG
    000_0820.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_0349.jpg
    100_0349.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 10396picture_gto_098_2__600_x_400__1_.jpg
    10396picture_gto_098_2__600_x_400__1_.jpg