More pics of "mi rata" 1930

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccontr01

Here are some more pics of the 30. the inside, motor mounts, rear 4 link and front axle. the front axle is a suicide, but it's the 1st time we do one so we hope it is done right. If not any suggestions? I'm happy to take some and even some pics would help

Attachments

• 30-rat.jpg
    30-rat.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 126
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
more. . .

more pics any suggestions?

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 81
Really not bad at all. I have to admit I am not crazy about that front spring perch, lots of leverage on it. Not sure if gussets would help much, but I would have Z'd the frame allowing for a shorter perch.

Another way would be to use a flatter spring with reversed eyes then mount the spring on top of a shorter perch. You would be amazed how much stress is put on these things going down the road, and the long perch you have will act as a lever to twist the crossmember and welds. It will also bend being that long.

You are smart to ask for suggestions though.

Don

We figured it was to high. we are gonna cut off about 3 inches. I was looking around town to see if anyone could reverse the eye springs but nothing. I have done everything else so why not this too. Never done it though.:confused:

It's easy to do. First you need a hydraulic press....even a small one will do. Then you lay the main leaf down on the garage floor and draw the shape of it so you can use that as a guide to see if you have returned the spring to the original shape, except with the eye reversed.

Then scribe lines across the face of the main leaf every inch so that you can uniformly bend the leaf the opposite direction. Put the spring into the press with a couple pieces of steel acting as supports (spread apart about 4 inches or so) then start putting pressure on each of the one inch marks, just a little to each one. You don't need to make much of a bend in each segment to get the spring to reverse, just a little bending at each spot will do the trick and not kink the leaf. We found that about two pumps on the handle of the press were enough in each spot to do the trick. We counted each stroke so the we knew the pressure was the same across the face of the leaf.

Keep comparing the leaf to the drawing you made to see if it is uniformly bending back to the same shape. You might have to touch it up with the press in a few spots to get it perfect, but if you take your time it will end up correctly curved. You may have to shorten the second leaf a little on each end because it may now hit the eyes. We used a bandsaw and it was tough cutting, those leaves are very hard. You can also put less curvature in the main leaf and get a flatter spring when all is bolted back together.

Two guys make it easier, one holding and pumping and the other one feeding the spring into the press.

Don

Thank's DR. I'll try it. If I mess it up i'll just buy one off speedway. I still need the front steering. Cople of ?'s. I seen your builds so you guys are great in what you do, so you can help mee out. PLEASE

I'm trying to put the steering in too so i've been looking for a steering box and a colum,n for the 30. I was hoping to stick it out the side of the cowl. ann suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Take a look at a BMW model 2002 steering box. The were made in the '70's I think, and are on Ebay all the time and in junkyards. Simple 3 bolt flange and a long pinion shaft out the side. They work pretty well, but some other guys on here may know of other boxes too.

Good luck,

Don

Aluminum steering boxes from 70's era Chrysler products are supposed to work well.

Yes, Donrods, thanks for the good info on spring eye reversing.

Here are some updates of the 30, chopped 6 inches and put on the visor and lights. working on wiring now and gonna lower the front perch as soon as I get the front spindles and brakes.

Forgot the pictures!!

Here are the pics

Attachments

• Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 21