Most expensive Rock I ever bought

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverdone

He's not done yet...
Last night as I was on my way home, my wife called. Said she had a little car trouble. She hit a rock. The neighbor came to the rescue. He showed up and said there is nothing I can do but call a tow truck. Luckily we are friends with the local junkyard so they came and picked up the car for $20 and dropped it at the neighbors house so we could put it on the lift. I would not be the least bit surprised if the car is totaled given the amount of damage to the bottom of the car.

IMG_20150508_185749_405_zpsaltytytr.jpg

For reference I wear a size 14 boot.

IMG_20150508_185825_432_zps8dt6k6o9.jpg

IMG_20150508_185834_495_zpstzuncawo.jpg

Nice little hole in the transmission there..... Along with the crushed front frame rail.

IMG_20150508_185855_234_zpsr6uga5wc.jpg

Here we can see where it hit the trailing arm on the car and yanked it right off the bushing.

And that ladies and gentlemen is how you bring a 2011 Malibu to it's knees, as well as single handedly ruin my weekend/month. Luckily we have two cars and my truck, plus the rat rod on standby.

I was coming down the same road on my way home, so I stopped when I saw the rock and through it in the back of my truck so no one else would hit it. Hanging on to that baby for show and tell, will be a nice addition to the flower bed.

I called the insurance company and made a claim on it. The guy at Progressive said "Don't worry Sir. You are a Diamond Level Customer. We have your back on this one." We shall see about that. Hopefully this goes better than 21Willys insurance episode.

Hopefully, at least you aren't in good hands when mayhem strikes.

Go Flo! I hang out with good neighbors.

:D

O good god... I sure hope your have better luck then me!

I would suggest using only email to communicate so there is proof of statements made by the insurance company!

Best of luck and glad your wife didn't catch it with a tire!

Dang, that's a mighty big rock to be laying in the road! Reckon how it got there, fell off a dump truck?

If I had to guess it fell off a tractor or something of that sort. They were tilling the fields on that road and half that rock was covered in dirt.

O good god... I sure hope your have better luck then me!

I would suggest using only email to communicate so there is proof of statements made by the insurance company!

Best of luck and glad your wife didn't catch it with a tire!

I called them last night to start the claim. I have pictures of the car underside obviously all the damage I could see for my own reference, I also saved the rock. So if the adjuster came out they could see it. I plan to document every call and save any email communication.

And yes you are right glad she didn't hit it with the tire. Those ditches there are mighty deep and she would have been in one of them.

Glad the wife is OK [cl
Dare we ask how fast she was going[S but then chevys are not that tough:rolleyes:

She says 40mph....

As for the chevys not being so tough.... not too sure on that.... My rat with the ford motor and trans needs no encouragement to leak tranny fluid all over the ground. I will keep my Chevy's :D

Same thing happened to two guys I know this winter.
One was an iceberg from a wheel well of a truck. That one ripped a hole in his steel oil pan on his Jetta.
Easy fix. Glad he caught it when he did and didn't let it starve of oil.

Second was a rock over an aluminum pan on an Acura rsx. That one he had to drop the whole front subframe at the job to swap out the pan. Another diligent catch before starving the car of oil.

Lucky fellas. I drive a lifted dodge to prevent that from happening :)
However, I'm sure I've buiot some of those iceburgs myself [S

My lead foot took out a 700R4 in my Chevelle... sent it to the shop for a new one & got it back on a Monday afternoon. On my way in to work that next morning i hit a trailer hitch that fell off someone's truck & wiped the brand new tranny out! Hadn't driven it 50 miles! The shop still has the totally twisted flywheel that had to be replaced hanging on their wall! I was pretty po'd to say the least!

Glad u're wife's ok!!!

BoB

Glad to hear that all on board are safe.
Tough luck with the car. Let us know how the Insurance company treats you.
My MO when something like that happens (Deer. Coyotes.Junk off the back of someones truck) is to call 911 and get the cops out to see it and file a report. Proof for the Ins company that what happened and how it happened is as I say.
Torchie

Glad to hear that all on board are safe.
Tough luck with the car. Let us know how the Insurance company treats you.
My MO when something like that happens (Deer. Coyotes.Junk off the back of someones truck) is to call 911 and get the cops out to see it and file a report. Proof for the Ins company that what happened and how it happened is as I say.
Torchie

By the time I found out the car was already on a lift..... I did pick up and save the rock with obvious paint and such from her car, tranny fluid, pavement scrapes... We will see how it turns out. The insurance car is sending a truck in the morning to pick it up, said I will have it back in 2 days.... Yeah right....

After my ordeal I wouldn't let them have the car. I have been tought to not trust them tho.

Well they came and picked it up Monday morning. Monday afternoon they called and said we will have it back Thursday next week. Taking extra time due to ordering parts.... Total damage...... Just shy of $6000!!!

They are fixing it then? If so they are responsible for paying you the difference of what your car is now worth. Since it has had a major claim on it's record now it lowers it's value. They have to pay that difference. At least in Indiana they have to.

Latest posts

Back