Motor choices

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilit Everrun

Ok, I know this can be a touchy subject...
I want a good engine for my daughter's chrysler. The most important issue in the choice is dependability, and I don't want to kill her on gas. Its a 3800# car so I need at least a 6 cylinder.
Here are my choices so far:
chevy 350
chevy 4.3 v6
chry 3.18
toyo 3.8 v6
Any pros or cons? Any others?

the chevy 4.3's that I've been around get almost the same mileage as their 8 cylinder counterparts,just with less horsepower..

the 350 is as dependable as an engine can be..tried and proven..can't go wrong there, although some will argue that it is overused..

318 would be a good choice also, doesn't have quite the parts availability that the 350 does if your stuck out on the highway somewhere though..

the toyota..well, its a toyota:D:D I can't say anything nice, so I'll quit there..

I couldnt really tell you since I myself wouldnt know what to run

But what if you ran a 258 straight 6. I know it is a chrysler motor and they are a bullet proof design that is strong and great on gas and the older style is carbed and easy to work on

I say the SBC 350. The 4.3 is a good motor, but like was said, almost same mileage with less HP. The 318, poor performance without a lot on parts (aka $) thrown at it, reliability is not the best. The Jeep 4.0 is a pig with no power.

That's my $.02 :)

This was not included in your list of optional engines, however the chevy 305 should be given a strong consideration, same basic design as the 350, so lots of inexpensive dress up goodies, reasonable power with the nice tone of a v8 (if that is a concern) and can achieve quite decent mpg's under the right conditions (even better that the 4.3 somtimes) they are fairly plenitful and in my experiences have always proven dependable.

have them

do you have these motors in the shop? what is the budget for the build? are you gonna drive the snout outta it? all these things help to decide what motor to run.

if you have a SBC 350 it is a great choice or if you have to buy a motor, the SBC is a great choice. they are very affordable, easy to work on, easy to get parts, with a overdrive tranny can get 20MPG, every parts store has stuff if ya break down, good power and very reliable.

no matter what motor you choose, you will never make everyone happy, like the old song says ''ya can't please every one, so ya got to please you're self''.

for me, the SBC was and still is a budget choice, l have several left over from my racing days, so l use'em in every thing l build.

Later :cool:

Aint got nun

I don't have a motor that will fit. It has an original flathead 6 in it but I want something in it where I don't have to worry. I have a 250 straight 6 but its too long to fit(by a lot), and forget the straight 8 I have tucked away. I also have a 2.5 straight 4 (iron duke) but I don't think there is enough power there. I am leaning toward the 350, but I saw a van with a 305 in it... I would be buying a parts car no mater what. Thanks for all the input.[cl

There is no engine that has been used more often than the sbc engine, and for good reasons. They are plentiful, cheap, cheap to overhaul or build, compact, powerful, and they are super dependable. NYC cabs would put a million miles on them and they would keep on ticking.

Some people say they are overdone, but I say they are just extremely popular, and that is coming from basically a Ford and Oldsmobile guy. I have to respect that they are just a very good motor.

So if you want one that swaps in well and will not break the bank initially or to keep it alive, any sbc motor gets my vote.

Don

Definitely the 318. first off that's probably the best V8 ever built (from a Ford guy), good power and good mileage from all of them I ever drove, most of them are still going strong when the body is falling off in pieces. Parts are not hard to find, besides who chooses an engine because of how it is going to break down? Plus it's a Chrysler in a Chrysler and that's the way it should be

I remember seeing an Iron Duke with a blower in Hot Rod back in the 80's. I can't find the pics but they can be hopped up as well.

DoleSD4engine.jpg

CosworthSuperDuty1.jpg

Where do you need your oil pand sump, front or rear? Small block Chevy if you need it to the rear, small block Ford is in the front, except on the later 5.0 motors, then it has a small front and large rear sump.

If you need it in the middle, some Mopars had that.

My 49 Ford bobber will keep the original flathead V8 Ford. In the event it expires, I would like to look into a 300 six Ford. Tough old motors and I like the configuration.

Gold03

the slant 6 fir motor was good. very resistant to rot and takes stain well....[cl

I say go and get a 99 5.9L from a dodge ram pick up. They sell around here complete with harness pcm and accesories for about $550. 290hp and runs like a modern V8. just my $.02

a 2.5 iron duke?

you can build one nasty 4 banger if ya have the iron duke motor, that the dream motor for mini stock dirt racers, alot of hp at lower rpms, max rpms on them are about 6500. but id go 318 since it is a chrysler, cheap and dependable, or else the 350. just depends on budget, parts available, ect. good luck with whatever ya decide (im rooting for the iron duke just to be different)

Latest posts

Back