Motor storage

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

26 coup

Hey Guys, I'm picking up a stock 327 SBC out of a 67 Camero SS. I'm just starting my build, and need to store this motor for quite awhile. Someone at work told me I should completely submerse the complete engine (without the carb) in diesel fuel. Has anyone tried this, and does it work? I also got the matching powergluide with it, what should I do with it to store it properly?
Thanks in advance.

Squirt oil in each of the spark plug holes, install spark plugs, duct tape all the open ports and holes so the humidity cannot enter and if you can keep it in a heated garage through the winter it'll be fine.

No I've never heard of that. [S.. diesel is pretty oily ? if it's a used motor just make sure the plugs are tight,pour some antifreeze in it,stuff some rags in the intake and exhaust do your best to keep it dry,it should be fine until summer.

Keep it under a roof and as high off the floor as you can. On the floor it will draw moisture.

Don't put it in a garage that is heated then allowed to cool then heat etc etc. it will make it sweat and rust from the inside.

Get one of these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-99400/ or use a large thick thrash bag and regardless of which one you use make sure it's sealed. If you do it this way no moisture will get in. Temperature change is what creates the most moisture inside the engine. When the engine gets cold all the way through and it warms up it will condensate, everywhere including inside. If it's sealed off from the environment, like in a properly sealed storage bag, the condensation will collect on the outside of the bag. As previously suggested I would give each cylinder a good sqiurt.

Hang it on an engine stand and wrap it in plastic, it will be fine for years. The trans just needs wrapping too, keep the moisture and bugs out.

Anybody ever use those huge silica gel packs that come in equipment and other things that need to stay dry in shipping? I imagine that would work well too to keep the moisture under control..

A friend put diesel in a tractor engine for long term storage..It was basically scrap metal when he wanted to get it going again..that diesel fuel drew moisture like I had never seen before..he broke every piston and 2 of the rods getting that thing apart..

Thanks Guys

I'd like to thank everyone who replied, but especially Tim. I think I'll stay away from the diesel fuel, a go with a couple of squirts of oil and some thick bags to seal them up.
Thanks again, Marv.

Latest posts

Back