Mrs. Tripper's fly-by-wire gas petal... couldn't believe it!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
After all this talk about the Toyota fly-by-wire gas petal problems... I thought I'd look under the dash of Mrs. Tripper's Navigator & nearly fainted... it was FBW. Don't know what I was thinkin' but guess all new cars have that now! Scary stuff!!! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

i had a 2005 f-150 that had it......it even changed its sensitivity when the truck was put into 4 low (4 wheeldrive low range)

under the hood of my trusty 2008 pontiac grnd prix 3800 v-6 the other day revealed that they went to this type of set-up as well

ah....the age of technology......just wait until brakes are replaced with all electronic connections--it could happen

I think with brakes though there would still be a redundant mechanical brake, or one would hope so and not just an E-brake as the redundancy.

They already have it, and your right, they must also have a mechanical fail-safe. How about FBW steering?

My 87 F150 is FlyByWire - it's got a thick wire that goes from the go-pedal to the carb linkage. :D

i still remember the story of the air-force jets that had electrical wire "chafing" and would cause the pilot to do the wrong thing-(i think a crash&death of a pilot was made into a movie a few years ago about it)
what happens in a few years when the wiring gets brittle on the FBW cars/trucks, or what if a mouse/rat chews into a few wires causing a false "reading on the pedal???? i'm just not ready for this much technology...:(

I've been told the new Chevy Malibu is FBW steering without a mechanical link.

PA41

there was a truck a few years ago that came out with FBW steering---it was just on the rear axle though, and could be disabled,

you may remeber it -gmc/chevy called it "quadrasteer" i don't think it went over too well though

I've been told the new Chevy Malibu is FBW steering without a mechanical link.

PA41

No they have electric power steering. There is still attachemnt to the rack but an electric motor is used to give the power assist. It is in the steering column. And they are a POS.

And honda did the 4 wheel steer in the 90's on the prelude. So that was kinda steer by wire.

FBW

I work for a parts store. We had a guy whose pickup would speed up when he turned his radio volume up....slow down when he turned it down! FBW....and it's gonna get worse!

Shakey

^^^^^ man shakey that would be scarey! i like to cruise with the radio loud!:D:D

just curious but what was the problem-how'd they "fix" the problem??

No they have electric power steering. There is still attachemnt to the rack but an electric motor is used to give the power assist. It is in the steering column. And they are a POS.

My wife and I had an '04 Malibu with the electric P/S and it did not have the same feel as hydraulic but it never gave us any problems. I think it helped gas mileage as that car got mid to high 30's per gallon with a V6.

Latest posts

Back