Muncie shifter question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougnDog

I bought a 343 Saginaw 66 or later it's from a 6cyl as the input shaft is reduced in dia behind the splindes. with it came a shifter and on the shift lever it say's Muncie. the guy said it should work on this transmission.:confused: before I go to all thouble of building a mount I sure would like get some input from some of you chevy guy's in the know;) here's a couple of pict's of it. thanks Doug P.S. what's the shift pattern

Attachments

• DCP00425.JPG
    DCP00425.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 33
  • DCP00424.JPG
    DCP00424.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 18
can you show some better pics of the shifter ?
That looks like a 3 speed trany and if it doesnt have the tail shaft holes[some dont] then a tail shaft shifter want bolt right on [hard to tale from the pics ]but you can fab some mounts up probably?
I can tell you more with better pics of the shifter [mabie]?:confused:
Also i havent herd of 343?Whats that mean?

Looks like a 3-speed tranny to me. 3-speed shifter as well, but like Tom said, it is going to be hard to attach the shifter to the tranny with out any mounting points.

Rev should be in Up-left
1st should be in lo-left

2nd should be in up-right
3rd should be in lo-right.

Should be standard H shift pattern.

Sorry I can't be more help.

trans shifter

its a 3 speed. the front lever is 1-R. pushing the lever, (as i see it ) forward should be Reverse. The 2-3 lever is in the back forward on this lever is 3.

shifter

Hey guys the trans is a 3 speed it's the shifter that I was questioning as to it being able to work, talked to a guy to day. he told me it's a 3 sp shifter. I thought muncie was only a 4 sp. thanks Doug

Chopper tom the 343 came from a transmission chart I have. on it it's called a 343 Saginaw. no mount holes I need to fab a mount Doug

I think Muncie shifters were used on some 3 speed cars too, but that is digging into my mid 60's memory banks. :) Believe it or not, you could buy cars like Chevelles and GTO's with 3 speed trannys. Why anyone ordered one that way is beyond me, but there were some made.

Can't tell from your pictures, but if there are only two arms underneath the shifter body it is a three speed shifter, and all it would take is fabbing up a mounting bracket off of the tranny to hold it in place and then making up some arms on the shift shafts.

Don

It doesnt really matter ,you can use a 3 speed shifter on a 4 or vice versa,just need to omit or add .[if you dont have the money for a new one that it ,wich is usally my case]
I really don't understand all this complaning about 3 speeds verses 4speeds ,once that your in 3rd of 4th its the same [1to1] and if you got a stout motor and you can adjust the shifter good then they both perform really well .
And the muncie verses the saginaw debate i dont under stand either? the final drive ratio is the same in both and i have seen way more muncies broke and the ears broke off and they cost way ,way more than a saginaw?
Ive drivin all of them and the only one that i have a problem with is the 3 speed saginaw from a six cylinder truck ,because the first gear is so low but they are great for cruisin ,especialy in a lowrider .
I could see wanting a 5or 6 with over drive.

I've got a three speed top loader Ford tranny in my '27. I traded a four speed to get the three speed because I wanted the car to be somewhat old timey, and back in the day I could never afford a four speed. I drove the T for 7 years, almost daily, and it never gave me a bit of trouble. It has been abused quite a few times too.

There is some rpm drop between the gears when you are running it hard, and for performance that extra gear would have been nice sometimes, but for just driving a three speed is fine. I'm saving a Chevy three speed and Hurst shifter for some future project.

Don

Attachments

• my 27 top view.jpg
    my 27 top view.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back