Mustang II question!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyesore

A friend built a big block full fendered 30 Ford sedan with a Mustang II front end. He took me for a ride the other day it it drove real smooth on asphalt but on a concrete freeway it sort of bounced every time it hit where the slabs met. It wasn't bad for a little while but it got annoying pretty quick and I knew it would be a problem going any distance. It has springs and shocks and he said he used the ones they recommended for a big block. Any idea how to cure that? Do you think it's the shocks or the springs causing the problem? I don't have a clue but told him I'd ask you guys. Thanks in advance!

iSore

What shocks are they? shock/spring combos need to be examined to make sure the shocks have enough dampening for the spring rate. But is is possible that the spring rate is just too high to allow ample travel, or too high compression dampening on the shock. The shock angle can reduce its effective dampening too.

Is it bouncy like an old Cadillac? Or bouncy like it feels like the front tires would lose grip if you were to hit a bump mid corner?

He should call whoever he bought them from and ask their advice, good luck!

Zipper

hard to diagnose with only a small amount of info-im sure you understand, but id check to see if the front was "bottoming out" ... maybe have someone watch the suspension "work" while an individual bounces the car with their body weight...

check to see if there is anywhere underneath (in suspension zone) where paint is rubbed off or knocked off... it could tell you exactly where the problem is...;)

and let us know if yall find the problem... for curiosity's sake:p

Spring rate and shock dampening are critical. One or both are not correct. Some shops sell "V8" springs for the mustang II. It's just one spring rate they suggest for all V8s. The only problem is the wide variety and weight of V8s. Same goes for shocks.

EDIT: is this a stock style cross member with stock type springs and shocks?

Is the problem that the car bounces UP or does it seam mushy? It could be bottoming out and rebounding off the bump stops or bottoming out the shock.

Latest posts

Back