My 54' Beetle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_J

This is my long term project that I've owned for at least 14 years. I began collecting parts and playing with different ideas for a while and started construction quite a while back. I've had build threads on other message boards and simply because it doesn't fit at any one place I think I will make RRR it's new home. My ultimate goal is to have a very dependable driver that Is way out of the ordinary, handle like it's on rails, has a lot of hot rod influence and has some shock value too.

I have always loved the crazy contraptions at the car shows and I've been to the Houston Auto Rama every year since 1978 and a few years on and off before that. So I have always wanted to build something off the beaten path.

I took a '54 Beetle body I found that looks good at face value but has issues and decided to put a chassis under it and make it mid-engined using modern drive train. I considered mounting the engine transverse but decided it HAD to be inline!

It has a modified Art Morrison MII narrowed suspension in the front and an Audi A4 transaxle in the back. The engine choices have gone from 16V VW to Chevy V8 but I think the final power plant will be the new Ecotec 4 cylinder thanks to some info from MrGussett! Here's where I left off before we started Trey's Truck. I'm still collecting parts and have some new motivation to get going again. We will get Trey's truck on the road first but I'm going to try to do something on this car at least once a month!

MEVW002.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

Here it was sitting next to Trey's truck before we moved it up to my building.
treysTruck007.jpg

54 Feet! Actually that's how far I hope it will roll when I get it running! Can a Mod change that to '54 for me!

Yes, you can get an Ecotec in a turbo version. Take a look at MrGussetts 'Lil Nash' project!

Here's a shot of the transaxle. It is used in the Porche Boxster, Audi A4 and VW Passat. I know of one guy in Mexico that has an A8 V8 engine bolted to his. Folks also use the Audi 5000 boxes. Kennedy Engineering has an adapter to bolt a Chevy V8 to it. I'll make my own adapter for this application though.

mid546.jpg

another angle.

mid544.jpg

Mocking up the front suspension.

VWsus001.jpg

54 Feet! Actually that's how far I hope it will roll when I get it running! Can a Mod change that to '54 for me!

Yes, you can get an Ecotec in a turbo version. Take a look at MrGussetts 'Lil Nash' project!

Here's a shot of the transaxle. It is used in the Porche Boxster, Audi A4 and VW Passat. I know of one guy in Mexico that has an A8 V8 engine bolted to his. Folks also use the Audi 5000 boxes. Kennedy Engineering has an adapter to bolt a Chevy V8 to it. I'll make my own adapter for this application though.

mid546.jpg

another angle.

mid544.jpg

Mocking up the front suspension.

VWsus001.jpg

Lookin' good

seen a lot of people use that trans for a lot of things. apparently they are pretty versatile.

I have dreamed of finding an old bug and putting a V-Tech motor in the back. Dope it up with street camo then go take on little rice eater dudes with it. They wouldn't know what hit em!!

Latest posts

Back