My '63 Merc S-55 ragtop build!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Ok... I've been holdin' back a bit & there r several cars back in my queue that I haven't posted but I moved this car up since I have more garage slots. 1963 Mercury Monterey S-55 Convertible... only 1379 made. I have some other pictures somewhere but when I went to make arrangements to move it I took these lame photos. I removed the front sheet metal, sandblasted & rebuilt the front end & brakes but plann on disc's shortly, repainted the firewall & dropped in the rebuilt 390 & Merc-O-Matic 3-speed tranny. Next will be a kool bolt-in rack & pinion unit that replaces the horrible original P/S unit... then on to the body, interior & top. I have several sets of trim & am getting the rear panel (or what ever that is called) reworked & new bumpers. Probably flat black paint & currently running 15" Crager SS mags. This will b a slow go as it's not my front runner... more to come.

BoB

Attachments

• mercfront.jpg
    mercfront.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 46
  • mercmotor.jpg
    mercmotor.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 37
  • mercrear.jpg
    mercrear.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 43
  • mercdash.jpg
    mercdash.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 23
Cool one Tripper. I can't believe you've been holding out on us like that :p. Are we gonna have to take satellite photos of your house to get the full scoop?

Oh and, is that top chopped yet on your truck?

you can't hold out on us like that man! come on! seriously though, cool car. looks like you have your work cut out for you.

Chopped?

Oh and, is that top chopped yet on your truck?

Gastrick,
Man... it has hit the fan @ work! Computer & printer problems r rampant & yours truly is the IT guy! That time I took off to move is kikkin' the old Tripper where it hurts the worst!!! Monday is my "day off" & I *will* get the cab off frame & in my new shop & prep for that chop!

BoB

My favorite kind of "heavy metal"!!!

looks like you have your work cut out for you.

Joe,
Yeah, it has some serious body work issues especially around the trunk & tail lites but I have a parts car that has really good sheet metal. I used to drive this car around & it's definitely *heavy* metal!!! Takes 2 people to take the bumpers off! But it is a kool car & actually my bride claims it as her own!

BoB

Last edited:
You gotta quit holding out on us Tripper. That Monterey is going to be one nice ride when done. Always liked the Monterey body. It's one good looking car.

A different kinda puttin' your foot down!

You gotta quit holding out on us Tripper. That Monterey is going to be one nice ride when done. Always liked the Monterey body. It's one good looking car.

BR&C,
I love the body style too & it is HUGE! My wife saw it driving down the street one day & begged me to chase the guy down to try & but it from him but by the time I turned around... he was gone. About a month later we were drivin' down the street & she saw it for sale at our local hand car wash & made me buy it on the spot! Poor thing sat in my garage for 12 years while I was working on other cars but now she has put her foot down... & we all know how that goes!!! ; - >

BoB

I think she has won my vote for most understanding wife of the year. 12 years of waiting, it is about time she put her foot down. Build that thing, man.

cool car tripper!! What else did you find in the garage when you moved. lol maybe i need to move and see what i can find :)

Lost but now found!

cool car tripper!! What else did you find in the garage when you moved. lol maybe i need to move and see what i can find :)

Tiny,
It was incredible all the stuff I found that I had put up so I could... "find it"!

BoB

Wow , I can't believe my eyes on this site , I accully found 2 guys with 63 montereys . My old lady is building a 63 merc Monterey breezeway . I thought for the longest time we were the only ones that saw the potential in that car

IMG_1515.png

Latest posts

Back