My baby is home...!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I am done with the tear down...

I finally finished tearing everything out of it and did get the bolts off that hold the cab..( not really...LOL..they broke off..) These pics are whats left of it.:( Front windshield area is rusted out...what to do about that.?Now should I or am I supposed to leave that seat area in there..? Might help with being so small..( NO JOKES ABOUT putting blocks on the gas and brake pedal either...:D..) I pushed of the floor area where the seat was and its pretty solid.At this point I need answers...

Attachments

• MVC-020F.JPG
    MVC-020F.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 15
  • MVC-019F.JPG
    MVC-019F.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 16
  • MVC-018F.JPG
    MVC-018F.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 21
I think these trucks look like total ASS without fenders. WAY to big and bulky to run open-wheeled. Looks like an orange on a toothpick. But hey, that's my opinion...

Wow....

I guess I should have picked a better truck to build.Sorry to have offended you or anyone else who doesn't like it.Should be sorry for not being rich.Guess I should have saved my money and bought a Candy Car..Ya know...with all the pretty metal flake and purple seats.Or should have just not even started but buy one already done,with an approval first though.Yeah..that's the ticket.I will sell it and wait to buy something EVERYONE likes...

2008_10190058.jpg

From the Frankensteiner's show today. Choppped 3", channeled 9" over the stock frame. You decide if you like the look.

I love these years of trucks. I think that you should run without the fenders. Who cares if it offends the traditionalists. It's your build. So, build it like you want. Keep at it and I look forward to seeing some progress.

dont let other peoples opinions get to ya its your project, YOUR VISION AND YOUR DREAM NOT TO MENTION YOUR TIME AND MONEY.

theres no real plan for a rat rod and these guys are right THE APPRECIATION WILL COME WHEN YOUR CRUISIN IT!

heres some pics of my build, my floor was shot too. so i welded in a few supports and took it up 2 inches above the old floor line and started there. it also gives it a channel of about 4.5 inches and that hides the frame.

i did mine like this so i could work standing up also, and it made it so much easier on the back. not to mention lighter to move 'round.

i finished the floor "skeliton" then made carboard patterns to trace to the sheetmetal flooring, after that i started on my dash and i will move on to the chop
dont stop now keep posting and ask as many ?'s as you need.

Attachments

• DSCF0k006.jpg
    DSCF0k006.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF0009 (2).jpg
    DSCF0009 (2).jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF0010 (6).jpg
    DSCF0010 (6).jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF0015 (3).jpg
    DSCF0015 (3).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF0024 (2).jpg
    DSCF0024 (2).jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 30
dont let other peoples opinions get to ya its your project, YOUR VISION AND YOUR DREAM NOT TO MENTION YOUR TIME AND MONEY.

theres no real plan for a rat rod and these guys are right THE APPRECIATION WILL COME WHEN YOUR CRUISIN IT!

heres some pics of my build, my floor was shot too. so i welded in a few supports and took it up 2 inches above the old floor line and started there. it also gives it a channel of about 4.5 inches and that hides the frame.

i did mine like this so i could work standing up also, and it made it so much easier on the back. not to mention lighter to move 'round.

i finished the floor "skeliton" then made carboard patterns to trace to the sheetmetal flooring, after that i started on my dash and i will move on to the chop
dont stop now keep posting and ask as many ?'s as you need.

Here you go Coffinmaker! Dogpatch1 knows the deal. His pics are whats possible if you put your mind to it. Your stock floor is sweet compared to mine. I don't see any holes I could put my size 12 boot through! :D Thats a solid floor from what I've seen. Stop worrying about what others think too. Build YOUR TRUCK - YOUR WAY, and to hell with pleasing the masses! Your truck should reflect YOUR VISION and how you want it to be.

Thunder1

Tiny proved with his build that an AD truck can look really good fenderless. The primered one I posted above is much rougher. I talked to the owner and he has very little money in his truck. Since the frame is basically unmodified it didn't take a lot of fabrication experience to build. By not Z-ing the frame at the firewall and back of the cab he gave up a lot of interior room. But, he got a pretty cool truck for little money and not a lot of fabbing.

I agree with these guys. Its yours, you have the vision, you build what you want and we are 100% behind you.

As far as the things you are finding you didnt know about, there is no way to avoid that. Dont wory about it, its just another line item on the list.

I try to not get too close to every detail, and not too many things at once. If I can manage to get the first 10 thngs done, then maybe I will go back and do the one I skipped, maybe not. I try to remind myself that "perfectionism gets in the way of progress" It will never be perfect, but it can be excelent, and I decide what is excelent for me.:D

My first impression when I saw your truck was, wow, that truck is in great shape. I like it.:cool:

I think you have a good truck to start with. Something no one has brought up is modifying the body at the places where the fenders used to connect to the cab. Smooth out the indentions and re shape a little.. ? could be good. I like Tiny's build alot, and think it is a fine example. Fenders or no, just get back to work on it.

Looks pretty solid, don't let a little rust slow you down.

That's a pretty good body you got to start with, Coffinmaker. I'm another that loves the AD trucks. Thought I wasn't too wild about them fenderless till tiny built his. That is one nice truck ! However you decide to build it, it's fine with most of us here. Keep us posted on your progress.

I guess I should have picked a better truck to build.Sorry to have offended you or anyone else who doesn't like it.Should be sorry for not being rich.Guess I should have saved my money and bought a Candy Car..Ya know...with all the pretty metal flake and purple seats.Or should have just not even started but buy one already done,with an approval first though.Yeah..that's the ticket.I will sell it and wait to buy something EVERYONE likes...

Naaah once you get it finished the way you like and take it for that first trip down the road you could care less what everybody thinks :) I was told mine wasn't going to look right but it was what i could find to build so i built it like i wanted it. And after just a week or so riding it a round I couldn't be happier. If you need any info or help just yell at me I'll check and see if i have any pics that i didn't post when building .

Damn dude - sensitive much? You definitely didn't "offend" me or anyone else from what I can tell. All I did was express an opinion, like I stated. If you are that quick to get your panties in a bunch then this might not be the hobby for you. I got news for ya - not everyone is going to be all hugs and kisses and pats on the back for everything you do, so get used to it. God knows not everyone likes what I build, but it has never stopped me. As long as you are happy and safe at the end of the day that is all that matters, just like everyone else has said. Yes I think later model trucks look absolutely stupid without fenders, but that is MY opinion that I am entitled to - just like everyone else is entitled to theirs. If we can't express negative opinions then what good are positive ones? Look back, I was one of the first ones to comment positively on your find. Besides, weren't you the one whining about leaving the board a while back because a project wouldn't fall into your lap? You need to get grow some thicker skin ASAP if you are going to be anywhere near hotrodding, because there are lots of opinionated people out there. That's not a bad thing, because everybody has theirs. It's what you learn from them and adding your own flavor to it that keeps it interesting. Build what you want and be safe, but don't be such a crybaby...

Blue Eyed Devil (and all the others) are correct! Get a tough skin, and build what you want, but don't be averse to listening to advice from others. There are a bunch of GREAT builders on here, and they will all step forward with helping words and ideas for you. That's how we ALL learn, That's how I'm learning. I was fortunate to find a (long distance) MENTOR. He is in Florida, I am in Maine, but I send him email questions, and he sends me back solid information and also his opinions! Then I am free to pick and choose what I want to do. DonsRods on here is a wealth of knowledge, as well as his Son Dan. Either of them will be glad to help, I am sure, and probably feel honored that you trusted them enough to ask. Just get to work on it, build it as you want, but safe and sound, and enjoy it. You'll be surprised at the thumbs up you'll get as you ride down the street. Regards, Perley

Just like

My old man used to tell me something....opinions are like A S S H O LE S...every one got one...BUT unless you wanna look like one...best to keep it to yourself unless your asked...But no problemo....Im out.

Coffinmaker, Lots of people here tried to help you. You won't find a more positive hot rod site. Hopefully you can get your emotions under control and come back so we can enjoy your build and give you a bit of helpful advice along the way.
Bob

I don't think that floor looks that bad, could be an easy patch job. It sounds like you're getting a little overwhelmed cause you're looking at the entire project, it will take a long time but it goes by fast.
Decide where you want to start and then focus on that step, there should be about 8764 steps all together:D. If I were you I would start on the floor cause it seems to be bothering you. Now just focus on one side, see what needs to go and what is still good and don't go wild cutting everything out unless you want to do a floor like Dogpatch. It's not hard but it isn't as easy as you would think. You can make a patch, then trace it out, cut, then tack it in, move on to the next section. You'll be surprised how fast it will go and who knows you might build up the confidence to do the chop yourself.

Sean

well said sgo70!
hey coffin come by the shop my truck is here and ill put it on the lift you can take pics ask anything and get up under it and see it first hand. you'll see its all small projects within a big one and when it all comes together its a wild ride. hell im not done yet and still get overwhelmed sometimes. theirs not one person on here who hasnt been right where ur at. come on by when you have time, dp1 george

Latest posts

Back