My brand new 55

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydrocarbon Rocket

I found this old girl about 72 miles from my house. Don't know if you can call it a barn find but, it has been setting beside a barn for a loooong time. I tried to get it running enough to drive it home but the fuel pump was leaking and the charging system was not charging. It did move around in the yard! Had to take my big gas hog truck and trailer back to haul it in.

Its got an unknow for now small block with a glide behind it. The shifter shows reverse to be at the end but its between park and nuetral, it must not be the original. Engine looks about the same era with some trashy chrome valve covers. Should be some originals out at Daddys in the woods behind his house.

I can't believe my beutiful little woman let me get it. I have to wonder how she will use this as some sort of leverage in the future. She done been lookin at beach vacations. Mabye I can get this running enough to take it and make it worth the trip. I am in the process of building her a porch for now. I won't even be able to work on the car until I get the porch done.

Sorry for the ramble but I am very happy for now:D. Hope to have up some more pics soon. (If anyone wants to see more).

Attachments

• GEDC0260.jpg
    GEDC0260.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 183
I would give u a gold star at the top of ur page, for such a good job well done but it seems we r out of gold stars at this time so heres the clap,[cl LOL

55 chevy

Love's those cars had one sold it when racing stock cars in 1994 big mistake can't find a good one like i had

It was so cool looking back thru the rearview while pulling it home. I had to phone pic the rearview then turn around and snap shot.

Attachments

• 2012-05-03 18.51.30.jpg
    2012-05-03 18.51.30.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 2012-05-03 18.53.11.jpg
    2012-05-03 18.53.11.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 49
It was so cool looking back thru the rearview while pulling it home. I had to phone pic the rearview then turn around and snap shot.

Love the towing pics..........thought for a minute there you were being tailgated by James Taylor and Brian Wilson :D
I used to think I'd never own a four door but as I get older and our friends that tag along get older a four door hot rod is alright by me :cool: There is lots of mods you could do to disguise it but hey if you like old cars as much as me they are just as cool as is :cool: Sounds like you are as excited about yours as I am my Tri-5 moredoor.........

TheCustardStandAMLarge.jpg

Just do a lot of this and you'll have a blast with it.......

Cruisingat50Large.jpg

BTW Start up a build thread and let us watch the '55 evolve [P[P

Nice 55. Gotta love 'em. Have one meself. Be prepared to get a lot of attention when cruisin'. By the way , you prolly still have the original powerglide in it. All chevy ironglides have that shift pattern.[cl

I said I wasn't gonna work on it until my porch was done. As I was walking across roof joist 15 ft in the air, the wife came out and told me to take a break from the porch. She said she needed to pick up some stuff off the mountain and was afraid for me to work without her being home. She even washed it for me as I was working on the porch Friday night. This thing may cost me way more than I gave for it. Any way, she said to work on the car as she was gone. I put on a new fuel pump, filter and alternator. Got it running kinda o.k. Then replaced some transmission line and got to take it for a spin.

I am so impressed with the brakes. It has a full peddle and don't jerk either way when applied.

As far as value, I wish it was a 2 door, but for practical family use, my long legged 14 year old would have a hard time crawling in and out of a 2 door. I'm not sure either of my children have been in one except for my samurai or 50 gmc truck I had.

It's funny, use to, the older cars didn't look right as a 4 door. The modern cars don't look right as a 2 door.

HR. As long as you like it, that's all that counts. 2 door or more door doesn't matter. Just have fun with it!!!!! Looks good to me.:D. Don't listen to the nay-sayers....

Been working on it.

Since my last post, I now have this car running on clean, efficient, affordable propane. The engine that came in the car turned out to be a 307. I didn't care but after I ran it a while it showed to be very tired with 3lbs oil pressure and several lifters down. Last weekend, I found a 305 setting in a field covered up with an old sign. The guy said it was good when pulled. He told me to put it in and try it, if no good put it back where I got it, if good, pay him when I get the chance. It turned out great! It was a big chance but, I pulled an all nighter till 1:30am and had her going. I use to do silly stuff like that all the time. I remember having to do that stuff to be able to drive to work the next morn.

Another thing it needed was new upper and lower control arm bushings. The rear springs are kinda tired and with the huge LP tank I stuffed in the trunk, it had the height I wanted. I then dropped the front to match.

Here is the tank.
2012-09-020851121.jpg

Still has room for a body. A fairly big body too.
2012-09-02085146.jpg

Here is the engin compartment and fuel delivery setup.
2012-09-02085037.jpg

Here is the new stance after new bushings and altered lower control arm.
2012-09-02084917.jpg

2012-09-020849471.jpg

2012-09-02085019.jpg

I hope to get some more stuff done soon. I'd like to have it tagged, newer tires, and wipers by the 29th of this month. The coker tire car show is on that day and for some reason, I want to go and be made fun of. As I have said many times, "I suppose I like attention whether it be good or bad". What y'all think so far?

Very nice indeed. My first car was a 55 four handle. Paid $50.00, which at the time was about going price, so you know how long ago that was.

Enjoy the heck out of it.

Latest posts

Back