My model A saga

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abomb

Banned
Well, sorta from the start,

Here's what I brought home, although there's some work missing already, because the body and chassis were bought 45 miles apart, from different people.

Abefore.jpg

Here's a picture of the chassis rework, it's the stock wheelbase, which makes it sorta tight to stuff in a smallblock. The rear cross member is kicked up 8 inches, it's fully boxed from the front crossmember all the way back. The centersection is based off of a Socal 32 chassis picture I saw.

Achassis.jpg

Picture of the body on the new chassis for the first time.

Abodyon.jpg

About this time, my wife bought me a 1959 El camino, that's best described as a kit car.....so I got to work on it, and presto chango, 3 years later I had this....

3.jpg

Last edited:
So, after I finished the 59, I got a wild hair to build a chopper........ I don't have any build pictures of it on photobucket, so here's the bike finished, about a year later.

Image005.jpg

Another year later, and Ta Da, we're pregnant. Time for a family cruiser......

before

wagon.jpg

after

56frontside.jpg

Then I traded the chopper for a vette.........Yeah, I never said I was a genius.. It's in the background......

S2010001.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, one crate engine in the vette later, and the 56 wagon sold to help pay for a move, I decided that the vette was boring, sold it and bought this

S2010006.jpg

Which I turned into this in about 8 months

sept2012.jpg

It got sold because a friend of mine passed away, and I wanted his first harley....so I needed some quick cash to buy this..

IrisandTod001.jpg

And here we are, back to the coupe, as you know, I started back in on it recently, I've posted some crappy pics of the 4 inch chop. Here's some better pics. I've also pulled the engine for detailing, and to put in the flexplate and torque converter, I didn't have that stuff handy when I wanted to mock it up.

14.jpg

So, that's how a guy can have a model A project for nearly 10 years, and still not be done.

Last edited:
Well that explains it. I'd like to have an elaborate as to why some of my stuff is taking that long but I just can't come up with a good excuse.

Are you gonna keep your buds Harley?

I forgot to add that you've had some cool rides along the way. I was hopin you would want to keep that bike around.............unless someone wants it real bad, now you've told them when they can get it, lol.

Well,,no pictures of progress, but the brakes are next (presuming my parts show up). I'm going to put a NON boosted mastercylinder on the firewall. Hopefully, when all the parts show up, I'll see if the picture in my head is real......It looks like the m/c will actually sit pretty low, and be partially hidden by the header. I guess my pedal setup will determine that, and I'm hoping it'll be here tomorrow. I've also picked up some 20ga sheetmetal for the dash, and years ago I took this art deco looking dash out of a boat at the landfill, it seemed like a good idea at the time, and I guess it was, I'll probably not use the dash itself, but I did get a 3 position (off, on, start) ignition switch, with the key, a pull switch for headlights and a universal 9 fuse panel that I can make use of.

I should have some progress pictures Sunday or Monday, either of the dash or the brakes...........depending on the length of the honeydoo list.

Well, it took a little more time than I thought, but the brakes are near completion. I'll need to find some flex lines for the front, but the hard lines are bent up and ran.

IMGP0632.jpg

The pedal arm required quite a lot of modification. It still needs a pad, and I'm out of acetylene......I'll cut something funky out and weld it on soon.

IMGP0635.jpg

A dodge caravan middle seat works great, Lee Iacoca must have still been working for Ford when thay made this seat at Dodge.

IMGP0634.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet!!!

Abomb,
That really looks good & thanks for posting u're update. Drivin' around with that blower... is gonna b a blast!!!

BoB

Sort of a Dumb Question

When you use a Caravan Seat, do you use the Model A seat "Pan" or is the "Pan" removed and the caravan seat bolted to the floor? Thanks

Your frame and running gear is a perfect example of how one should be done IMO. Straightforward with proven engineering. I like the way you did the crossmembers and radius rods.

Nice job. :)

Don

When you use a Caravan Seat, do you use the Model A seat "Pan" or is the "Pan" removed and the caravan seat bolted to the floor? Thanks

Stock seat riser removed, and the stock dodge stuff cut off flush with the seat bottom. I haven't "mounted" it yet, but I'll just weld a piece of channel or rectangular box across the bottom, and hinge it at the front. I am planning for some storage behind the seat.

And, Don, thanks. I started this car before I ever heard the term "ratrod". My intention was and still is to build a clean low budget HOTROD. Before anyone jumps me about the low budget thing, keep in mind where I'm from,(still some cheap tin to be found) and how long I've been collecting for this thing. I have some very nice pieces, including the blower ( which is a severly modified ford unit on a homebuilt manifold), and an original Mordrop axle, but they've been bought right. At this point I have less than $5000 invested in it.

No real update, just wanted to share a couple of good scores from eBay for the coupe..... I'm working on a dash and the floor right now, and soon to make a decision on the firewall recess...........

1950 Pontiac tailights

PICT0136.jpg

And a gennie shifter for my powerglide.

a4af_12.jpg

getting closer

Well, I haven't had too much spare time lately, but I have been finishing up some half done stuff. I finished the front brake lines, I cut all the gaskets for the blower and adapter, rebuilt the carb, made a pulley bracket to route the blower drive belt around the water pump. I got some alternator brackets, mounted the battery box, and started on the rear subframe for the body. I'll get some battery cables ran, finish up the rear brake lines soon, and hopefully wire and fire it soon. It's not lacking much to be able to move under it's own power, and I'm hoping that I can get it sort of road worthy this month. My goal was only to drive it under it's own power this summer, even if it is to my home town show, which is in the middle of June, but I may be able to make it to some of the other small town shows that are starting up in May.

Latest posts

Back