Name this axle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psychomike

I am new to this forum and collecting parts to build a 38 Chev PU. Recently I picked up this axle assembly pretty cheap, but have no clue what it originates from. Whether or not I could get parts etc. It has Chrysler calipers/rotors on it - probably mid '70's or so. But the king pin is not the typical configuration so I'm curious - anyone recognize it?

- Mike

Attachments

• axle.jpg
    axle.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 68
I bought a frame a few years ago that had similiar ends on the axle. The owner and I guessed the frame was 1920's era Dodge. BTW, I left the axle with him so he could scrap it because I didn't think it was heavy enough for the Rat Rod I was building.

Here are 4 more pictures. I've read the previous post about the Model T axle, and I agree that flimsy and affordable is second to correct and worth waiting for - but this axle is by no means flimsy. What I am hoping to find is someone that has experience with this particular axle, or at least can identify it so I can see if parts are available. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 35
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 30
It is probably some truck axle from one that had parallel leaf springs, judging by the flat perches molded into it. Personally, I would not use it, as the brake, spindle setup looks pretty shaky to me. One thing, that round bearing in the picture below is installed in the wrong place, it should be UNDER the spindle so the spindle rides on it. Some hot rodders mistakenly put them on top to gain an extra inch of lowering, but then the spindle is riding on axle with no bearing in between.

Honestly, I would think twice about using this setup. There are too many conventional, good setups out there to risk using an oddball like this one.

Don

Thanks for the input Don. In looking at this setup I have to wonder about your bearing position advice. Since the weight of the vehicle will be pushing down on the axle that bearing seems to be in the right place. Now if the axle were in the center, and the spindle supports were on either side of it, I would agree, but the surfaces on this axle are backwards of a conventional axle. Putting the bearing in this position provides for a supported thrust surface, and in fact would stand to raise the car.

Am I missing something?

I use to work in a front end shop. That bearing IS supposed to be UNDER the axle unless for some strange reason they used two. That brake set up looks like the AMC bolt on type(from what I can see).

Duh, you are right about the bearing. I was thinking Ford, where the axle is in the middle of the spindle...........yours is just the opposite, and the bearing IS in the right place. Sorry.

I would still take a very close look at how the brakes were adapted and all. It could be fine, but I don't like brakes and stuff that people have played with, adapting different stuff.

Don

Yes, on that type of axle set up with the spindle between the axle bosses the bearing will be on top.

I always like new stuff on steering, stopping components. Better to spend a few dollars on parts that your life and others are dependant on.

I agree - I plan on going through both the axle and the brakes completely with all new parts. Thats why I am trying to identify it so I can see if axle parts are available. So far all I know is 'early Dodge' which basically gets me a laugh from the parts guy and then I get hung up on.

I think I've seen an axle similiar to yours on a roadster in a car magazine in the last year. Sorry, that isn't much help. The axle itself looks quite strong compared to the one I didn't use, as I mentioned in an earlier post. If you are unsure about about the disc brake setup, try to find a local expert to look at it. A non-franchise local auto parts store that has been in business for a few generations, or a good junkyard might be able to identify the parts for you. If I was building an open wheeled roadster with a 1920's body, I'd try real hard to use that axle. If you were within driving distance, I'd buy it. Good luck with your project.

Latest posts

Back