NASCAR Block ??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat25sailor

I think I have a 1969-70 chevy 302ci. block. Stamped number on right front tab is V032IHF

The casting number looks to be 3970010. I can not read the casting date to close to the firewall. I can not read the casting date it is to close to the firewall.

The block stamp is V032IHF. I can not find the suffix "IHF" any where.

There is no vin # stamped on the front block tab.

I have been told that this was a create Nascar motor.

Can any one help idenify this motor?

you didn't pay for a NASCAR motor did you ??

HF 1965 327 300 4 Manual, h/p
HF 1966 327 275 4 Powerglide, A.I.R.
HF 1969 350 250 2 Powerglide
HF 1978 350 170 4 LM1
HF 1968 327 275 4

Last edited:
Not all of them are 350s.

maybe not, but all i have gotten and opened up where. i really believe it would stand better as a 4" bore block. i do know that my 305 and 307 don't have a 010 number, but can't remember what the numbers are. i do remember the front passenger pad on the large journal 302 block has a yz in the number, but he said there wasn't anything on it there. i believe he has a block that has been decked.

That is like everyone selling a 350 has a "vette" motor! Lol If it is a 302 it can be a fun motor.

you need to know the date code to determine what you have. if there is another set of #'s on the pad where you found the hf #, that will tell you the year. but if it is an older block, the date code is on the back landing of block. so far you know it was made in flint mi. on march 21. if the harmonic balancer is small, then chances are it is a 327.

Just going by "old man"memory here, but IF....I remember correctly, the 302 was a Camaro block used for the Trans Am series. They put a certian number in road cars with a 4 speed and the factory "chambered" exhaust....that sweet sound was music to my ears as a kid when my buddys neighbor would go through the gears leaving his house

Well speaking from the Ford side the Boss 302 engine was the 69' 70' Trans Am engine which that series was the small blocks. The Nascar engine for Ford was the Boss 429 hemi for 69'-70'(big block) That's the bad boy going into our rat.

AND, If memory is right the Boss 9 engine had a street block & a Nascar block. The street block had two versions the original HP429 casting & the reverse 460 casting. The HP mold was broke somehow so they went to the reverse in the late 69' production Mustangs & included the 70 cars wich ended the production of the Boss 429 engine in Ford cars.

The nickel content is cast in the bellhousing area, 010 or 020.
DZ or MO were the 302 Z28 codes. HZ and the 010 casting number would point to a 69 327, large journal motor (most common Chevy SB engine casting). But the code sheets have been wrong.....

weld on........[;)

Latest posts

Back