need advice on a small booster and master cylinder

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearcamp

Under my 37 Chevy truck I don't have alot of room and I installed Chevy 11 inch disc brakes up front and drums in the rear. I tried running it last year with just want the master cylinder but got to really lay on em to stop. I want to go to power but need a booster and cylinder that's small. I'm talking 7 1/2 in wide and 10 3/4 in long. Any ideas? Do they make a master cylinder (without booster) that works about like power?

Talked to a few of my friends and they think I should be able to get good brakes without a booster on my truck. I just looked at it again and noticed it was originally plumbed like this,,,,,,,,,,outlet on front of master cyl goes to the rear of the proportioning valve with 1 outlet and rear of master cylinder goes to the front of the proportioning valve also with 1 outlet. (must be an old valve) shouldn't there be 2 outlets to the front disc brakes?

Don't know the bore but found out the cylinder that's on it must be for drums front and rear cause the pro valve only has one in and one out for front and rear so I believe that's alot of my problem. Probably need something like a 70 Chevelle with disc. Your opinion?

70's chevys used a "T" on the crossmember to split the lines for the front. A drum/drum master or a large bore can make for poor stopping with disc fronts.

What master cylinder are you using now? One that is made for disc/drum will have a large reservoir for the front disc brakes and a smaller one for the drum rears, obvious when you take the lid off. There's lots of places that sell this type of master and they come with ports on both sides to ease the plumbing installation. I used to ask the local parts store for one for a 1970 Camaro non power disc/drum master and usually plumbed it without even using a stock proportioning valve, went with an adjustable Wilwood prop valve on the rear line. If you are mounting the master under the floor and it is lower than the wheel cylinders, be sure to use check valves in the lines or the fluid will drain back to the master and it will leak. I think it is a 2lb. check valve for the discs and a 10lb. for the drums.

What is the leverage ratio on the pedal arm? This can make a GREAT BIG difference in how a car stops.

Latest posts

Back