Need advice: Should I buy this truck?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Extraordinary" is right. I've sen worse stuff go for $2000 - $2500 around here. So, getting back to Kenzie's original question, if you feel you like that model and are comfortable with the price then by all means go for it. If you're not "feeling it" then keep looking and as Roddguy said old stuff seems to be still plentiful in your area. You're in a better position to pick and choose than we are. Let us know what happens either way.

x3 with the other "Ontarians." ;)

Absolute garbage up here frequently has RIDICULOUS sums of $ asked for it, occasionally gets $old for high dough.

Anything THAT nice would EASILY go for $2-$3K here in Ontario, no I'm NOT KIDDING! You have to consider that some guy paid $400-$500 to some old hillbilly down south there, where stuff doesn't rust-then he loads it up on his trailer and hauls it home. Therefore, us rust belt folks have to eat the costs of transportation, customs/border crossing and some guy eating Denny's or truck stop food for a week while he hauls the goodies home for us. ;)

This is why I don't have my dream Chevy AD truck yet-a POS bought locally would cost probably $2000 (I can't bargain my way out of a wet paper bag:eek:) OR I can fork over $4000-$5000 for a solid roller imported from Kalifornication by a local fella here.

Anyway, I'll shut the rant off. Glad you have LOTS of options there. The best thing is ALWAYS search out the cleanest example of whatever vehicle steals your heart. Don't ever settle for something you'll have to "learn to love"...trust me on this one, you WON'T! (learn to love it, that is!):D Best of luck with your search. Thanks for sharing the pics to drool over.

Regards,
Shea:)

If these trucks are hard to find maybe I can start hauling loads of them up. In my last 4 outings I have found 42-46 GM trucks and so many 49-53 I don't even pay attention. I have access to a real straight 49 GMC shortbed that was running when it got parked 20 years ago. Here's just a few that I have ran across last week. There were several more I didn't get pictures of.

Devilstowerjunk054.jpg

Devilstowerjunk016.jpg

Devilstowerjunk004.jpg

Like I always say, South Dakota must be old tin heaven. I think that must be where the majority of old cars and trucks in the U.S. go to die. :D Kinda like an elephant grave yard. I'd love to have that sweet visor from that A. D. Chevy cab. That's a very cool piece!!! :cool:

Thunder

I like the AD trucks, as you can tell from my avatar pic. 54s and 55 1st's are nice but if you need a new window for those years have fun spending alot of money. the earlier years are better simply because the split window is cheep to have a new one made. The cab sitting next to the one you have pictured is 47 2nd - 51. If the truck doesn't come with everything then it's probably not a good deal from what everyone else is saying. Running boards and other body parts can get expensive unless you know where to get them cheep.

If the Ford is all there except the seat and engine, that sounds like a better deal to me, depending on the condition of the body.

It all depends on what kind of truck you want also. Get what you will be happy with.

I like the split windshield a lot better too. Also the 54-55 1st have kind of an ugly grill compared to the 47-53. I do like the wing windows and push button door handles better than the early doors.

So, are any of you canooks interested in meeting at the boarder for loads of solid tin? If the stuff is bringing what you say it is we could both make good money.

Latest posts

Back