Need an opinion on a purchase

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FROG_PONDS

Hi-- I am going to build a rat rod for my next project. I have built hot rods but never a rat rod. I don't. want to start out with the wrong vehicle. I am looking at a 47 International KB3 for $3000.00. It is complete and in good condition but I do not know anything about a 47 international KB3. I know that you can add or take away parts to anything but is this a good starter for my first rat rod project? Should I get this truck? I want to build a radical rat rod. Slam it to the ground, chop it, go fenderless, Z frame, etc. I need opinions. Thanks Rich:confused:

if the only thing your going to use is the cab ,, id say find something cheaper that dont run .. or just buy a cab .. My 2 cents
you will have a lot of good spare parts left over that maybe no one has a use for ..

Last edited:
I agree, why destroy a nice complete truck when you can get just the parts you will use for a fraction of that. KBs are great trucks and quite attractive when left whole but IMHO the cabs are too tall for a fenderless rod, kinda bulgy topped. But, while not my first choice, still not a bad choice. Depending on where you live you should be able to get a decent cab with doors in the $250-$800 range. I'm not used to paying much around here and right now I have a deal made on 2 48 F1 Fords plus an extra cab for $600

there are a few cabs on here for sale ,,, if you pay $500 for a cab you will have the rest of the money to buy tubing for the frame , a good front end , a rear end and then you can start your build and havnt even broke the $3000 mark yet .. I give $400 for mine and the only thing Im going to use is the cab and bedsides I will have to purchase the rest , my left over parts wasnt worth keeping .

my reply

I live in Pgh. Pa. the cabs here are going for 1000 to 1500 and I think that is high. I have just started so I have a lot to learn. There is a 48 5 window chevy dump truck on a farm that I hunt on since the late 60ds. I am going to ask the owner if he might sell it. I will forget about this international for now. Thanks Rich

What They Said !

Money better spent on horse power, suspension, ect. [;)
Some feel it's better to recycle rusty junk instead of whole runners [S

Rich I was born in Lisbon Ohio not far from PA. and have been in Pittsburgh many times as a kid . and from what I can remember stuff dont last long up there , not just from salt but the air up there ?? IDK I remember no body left the equipment out after they farmed with it ,, it was cleaned up and put under a shed or in a barn .at least in our little village . The salt they put on the roads eats everything away up there .. even the roads , pot holes big as a volks wagon .. :D You play dodge those p- holes when you drive

21willys seems to always have some. Can deliver too..... Once in a while Cornfield has some.

Thanks, I have cabs starting at about $400. I have 4 or 5 for sale right now.

I'm about 6 hrs from Pittsburgh and go by it on my way to the port every few months.

I also have a few other things for sale that would take a little more work to build. A rusty 38/9 ford two door sedan and a 38ish four door Chrysler sedan that's missing two doors. The Chrysler is fairly clean from New Mexico.

I almost forgot about the 53 and 49 dodge sedans also lol

Latest posts

Back